Monsterflow intake (or any intake) question

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
jwalling00

Monsterflow intake (or any intake) question

Post by jwalling00 »

I am considering adding a monsterflow intake to a 96' Miata. I do not want to make my care too loud so I also considering keeping my exhaust stock (or finding a close to stock sounding exhaust). Where could I expect to see improvements with this setup (i.e. is the 10hp increase you mention on an otherwise stock car, will I see improvements in the car's responsivness).

Also if I do need an exhaust to see real improvements, which brand is quiet and effective).
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

On the 94-97 we get the biggest gain from the intake....10hp at the wheels with that Monsterflow on that generation. That is indeed on an otherwise stock car...with solid gains in the midrange. Indeed, also a nice improvement in throttle response. Thus, on 94-97 I like to do the intake first.

The exhaust is another 4-6 hp but the gain is primarilly way up in the very top of the rpms...
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
jwalling00

Post by jwalling00 »

Brian.

I also want to improve the handleing of my car. This is a fast street/canyon driver that I will take on the track to improve my driving skill (definatly autocross type course, and eventually high speed tracks). I currently have AGX shocks (about 50k on them) and RB street springs. They are feeling a bit tired now, so I am considering an update. Do you have any reccomendations?
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Sky is the limit and it all depends on how sophisiticated you want to get with the suspension. Certainly the basics would be replacement of the KYBs with KONI shocks. The three position koni shock would give you the opportunity, if you wish, to lower the miata slightly more and the Koni just seem to work better than the KYB.

If you wanted more spring rate the next step up from there would be either coilover conversion (ground control) or Spax coilovers....all the way up to top of the line JIC coilovers.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com