n00b What/Where/When/How

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
simnaj

n00b What/Where/When/How

Post by simnaj »

Greetings Miata Lovers!,

I am a second time Miata owner. Don't know what I was thinking when I sold my first... Anyway, now that I see the light, I want to enjoy my beloved to the fullest. With funds being light, I was thinking about slowly upgrading as needed and/or as funds are available. That being said I would like to move my stock '96, w/70k, towards high performance street and possibly track someday.

I guess my question is where should I start? Out of necessity I need to start with a new clutch. But where should I go next? Should I start with Mods, Suspension, Wheels, Tires, or what? Ultimately, what order and which of your product lines would you recommend?

Also, in addition to being new to Miata modifications, I am new to car mechanics. Any recommendations as to reading material?

Finally, do you know of any local mechanics, in the Poway/San Diego area, that would be willing to let me assist in the installation of these items?

Thanks!

P.S. - Sorry for all the questions!!! Your response will probably make a good sticky forum topic for other n00b's. ~ Thanks Again!
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

A great place to start figuring out what you want to do would be to come to an autocross at Qualcomm stadium. The schedule of events can be found here:

http://www.sdr-scca.com/solo2/

A great place to meet other Miata enthusiasts and get to see the mods in action and get a better idea of which direction to go from here. You might come down and decide you want to build a stock class legal car, or an IS2 machine, or even an SM2 Miata. Lots of choices and priorities are different depending on which direction you go though certainly tires and wheels and suspension changes have the biggest bang for the buck impact.

For that clutch change, we send a lot of that work to Dennstedt's Auto at 619-284-4911. In fact, we can send any clutch in our inventory there for installation. Talk with Larry or Rocky there...they both own Miatas and Larry races at the stadium regularly.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
simnaj

Post by simnaj »

Thanks I will plan on doing that...

From the online research I have been doing, I am pretty certain that stock class legal and spec miata classes are too restrictive for my desires. I guess I am looking for a class that will allow any modification as long as it it still street legal... Am I right in assuming this would be considered "Street Modified"?

I guess what I am saying is, a supercharger within a year or two is not out of the question! I know that a supercharger now, would be too much for me, but I would like to grow into it...

What would you recommend for clutch replacement? What about a flywheel?

What should be next on my list of upgrades?
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

SM2....Street Modified 2. Played there for sometime with our supercharged 99. Ran a 62 cubic inch BR Performance blower with Track Dog Air/Air intercooler and much more. For clutch, the ACT Stage 1 combo with flywheel works great. The stage II is really overkill unless you plan to build a motor that will go over 300hp. And the stage II comes with much more compromise in user friendliness. Thus, I suggest the stage 1 combo.

On suspension, JIC coilovers, front RB sway. On wheels, either the 15x8s if we get them back in stock (should be late January) or th 16x8s we have in stock already.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
simnaj

Post by simnaj »

With wheels that large, what do you suggest for the offset?
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

All depends on whether you want it actually under the fenders and how wide of rubber you want to go. The 16x8s we carry with 38mm offset will fit 225s under the factory fenders. The 15x8s were more aggressive at 30mm offset and usually required a fender lip roll on first generation Miatas.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
simnaj

Post by simnaj »

Thanks again Brian!

I believe I understand the offset. Am I correct in assuming that 15x8 with 38mm offset would also fit under the factory fenders? Is there a performance consideration when deciding between 15x8 and 16x8?

On the sway bars should I go tubular or solid in the front? After reading the application notes I am guessing tubular as I tend to brake late. Any need for a rear sway?

I am looking to purchase the ACT 1 w/fly, mstr cyl & slv cyl. Would the braided stainless steel clutch line provide any benefits beyond asthetics, which of course are important as well!?! What about the short shifter?

Are you available for pickups, I would like to save the shipping, since I am in Poway... I have a close friend that is going to show me how to do the clutch replacement on Saturday.
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Yes, can pick up but most of the itemes on your list outside of the clutch and flywheel are drop shipped direct from source to you.

Call me on the sway bar choice, I need to understand better your intended use.

Yes, 15x8 and 16x8 at 38mm offset will be same fitment.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
MDM242

Post by MDM242 »

I got my 1st miata about a year ago + asked the same questions. Suspension mods were what most people told me. I did KYB/GC combo, but sounds like Koni/GC may be better. AXed in C-stock w/ MSCC + had a great time.

P.S...Funnest race...1/2 go-cart track...IT WAS AWESOME :twisted:
95 Miata, KYB/GC, Azenis