MX5 NC AERO Project...Carbon Hardtop, Flat Bottom, Diffuser

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
Brian
Site Admin

MX5 NC AERO Project...Carbon Hardtop, Flat Bottom, Diffuser

Post by Brian »

Hi Folks,

Weighed my factory NC hardtop today....55 pounds!

Thinking of making a carbon fiber NC top for track days. The goal would be 15 pounds! This would NOT be a show piece for car show "hard parker" crowd....it would be absolute minimalist top for racing. NO glass, no defrost, no interior liner (with a plexiglass rear window). The goal is minimal weight and track day aerodynamics. My rough guess is that we would be about $1800 retail if we did the product. Would likely make one for myself and could use the mold to make more. If any NC track users are interested.....just post here and we will get back to this thread when, and if, we are going forward with production.

Here is a picture of a MazdaSpeed hardtop. I had one of these years ago. It was fiberglass if memory serves with plexiglass window.. Notice the window shape is very simple and does not wrap around the corners. Our goal for NC would be much like this unit was (though no vent).

Last edited by Brian on Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:22 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
grey_NC

Post by grey_NC »

definitely interested!
Bill Kille

Post by Bill Kille »

You talkin NA/NB or NC ????
Bill Kille, Chestertown, Md.
2006 Silver Bullet, 157,000 miles
Delaware Valley Miata Club & M.O.O.D
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

There are already sources for NA/NB low weight Carbon and fiberglass tops. Talking here about an NC top.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
rr1santos

Post by rr1santos »

is there one out with a carbon fiber print? i think that would look cool.
BrianC3343

Post by BrianC3343 »

You could put me on a tentative list. I would definitely be interested in this a year or two down the road. I am focused on autocross this year, but would like to do track days with my NC in the future.

Brian C.
2006 Mazda MX5, Prepped for STR
skeeler

Post by skeeler »

Brian,

I'm glad to see you are always coming up with new ideas for Miata products.

Are you planning plexiglass or polycarbonate---Lexan is one brand name---for the window? Would you consider bending or forming the window so that it could have the same shape as the factory top? The visibility that the factory top offers is nice.

Would this be water-tight, so you could just leave the top on all the time and park the car outside?

I assume you would use the factory top to make a mold, so the shape would be the same. Is that right?

Michael
2009, STR & DD. 1995, HPDE. 2004 MSM, sold. 2010 Mazda3, hers.
grippy

Post by grippy »

A plastic replacement for the stock back window would be great if it worked on your new top and a stock one. That is probably where a good chunk of the weight is anyway.
Other than that, if you are making something new anyway, why not make it more of a fastback for less drag. i have seen pics of one for the NA and it looks pretty good with an intrigal rear spoiler built in.
Gordon Andrade
06 Miata
COMSCC #10 SC
skeeler

Post by skeeler »

Grippy,

That NA fastback requires removal of the trunklid among other things. I'm not sure how many owners of NCs, given how new they are, would be interested in that.

Of topic: I just wish Mazda would offer the ND in a fastback, or even a coupe.
2009, STR & DD. 1995, HPDE. 2004 MSM, sold. 2010 Mazda3, hers.
grippy

Post by grippy »

I know that, but anyone interested in what Brian is suggesting would not have a problem with it, as long as there is a real benefit (les drag and weight). I know I wouldn't. It is for the racetrack not the grocery store. The trunk in empty anyway.
Gordon Andrade
06 Miata
COMSCC #10 SC