NC Light

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
ronbauer

Re: NC Light

Post by ronbauer »

Nice Brian. The funny thing is that I looked at your site before posting and apparently missed the bottom of the wheel/tire accessory page that has those.

What it doesn't say though it how long the new studs are. The REAL Racing wheels have a pretty thick mounting area (3/4",) so I need to make sure that the new studs are plenty long enough to allow me sufficient threads.

Ron
ronbauer

Post by ronbauer »

I pulled a stud from the front and got a rear out far enough to do some measurements, and although there are different stock part numbers for front and rear studs, it appears that the same studs can be used front and rear on the car.

The stock part number for the rearof the MX-5 and RX-8 is the same as the fronts on all other Miatas, and the same as the rears of the 1.6L cars. So, the correct ARP part number would be 100-7719. What this also means is that the Ichiba kit that Brian sells should work for both the front and rear.

I also spoke with Mark Sipe and he confirmed that he used ARP 100-7719s all the way around on his RX-8. The RX-8 and MX-5 use the same stock studs.

Cheers,

Ron
jasonMX5

Post by jasonMX5 »

I am really looking at SM and thinking that's the best option for road race excitment. I'll probably pick up an NB or even an NA for a few thousand then do the light mods they limit. It seems more feasable to afford that than a high end class. The NC will just be a toy/project for open track days and so forth.

Now I need more space hehehe.
2007 NC, 6spd. True Red, BEGi turbocharged. Supporting mods.
jboemler

Post by jboemler »

Space has always been the problem for me too, although some others have even less. The SM works pretty well as a commute-to-the-track car, which saves truck and trailer. I tow a trailer with tires and tools. You might want to check out the "lounge" at specmiataclassifieds.com for help and advice.
ronbauer

Post by ronbauer »

A picture of the front with the new wheel/tire combo! :mrgreen:

Ron
Attachments
Front wheel_tire2.jpg
Front wheel_tire2.jpg (88.88 KiB) Viewed 18459 times
Gordy

Post by Gordy »

Ron, just curious what material those wheels are made of, steel or aluminum? Definitely looks mean with the tire mounted up.

I encourage you to start a new thread, it's a great topic to follow.
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Indeed, it can stay here....but certainly worth a new "Ron's DP Build" thread if you feel like doing so.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

TRACK DAY UPDATE! Victory for NCLIGHT at CHUCKWALLA with NARRA TIME TRIALS!

Great weekend, so many great people and a great experience with NCLIGHT. Won TT2 class by large margin on Saturday and the NCLIGHT got lots of attention after that point (beating a bunch of Vipers with a Miata will do that!). This led to coverage by the TV Crew and filming/interview by Tom Hnatiw (a face many will know from World Challenge coverage on SPEED). Sunday we won the TT1 class again.....in a field of Vettes and Vipers! Really impressed by how NICE a guy Tom Hnatiw is in person (the personality on TV is not just for TV, he really is the friendly kind of guy you want to get a beer with).

This was the FIRST event for NC LIGHT with the FULL flat bottom and fresh corner balance and alignment. Prior events had been with a just the front half of the bottom treatment. NCLIGHT was amazing in the turns! It corners so hard you would think the hubs would give out. Track has just 100 octane so I ran the reduced tune on the motor (230 hp with 7200 redline.....we do 270 at 7800 RPMs with 110 octane but not all tracks offer the more stable choice and I hate having the carry it in the truck).

Here is the funny thing about the full aero with flat bottom....it doesn't work unless you go FASTER than what your brain says the car can handle in the corner. Enter the hard corner at 50 mph and you are in danger of a spin or sliding off the track....but hit the same corner on the same line but at 60mph and it makes enough downforce to stick the turn. It's very odd and counter-intuitive that you actually need to hit the turn FASTER to avoid sliding off the turn.

Minor issues included smashing one support rod for the splitter on an overly aggressive use of the curbs early Saturday (notice it missing in the photo). Had some brake light issues. Overall, very pleased with the progress on the car. A buddy has his twin turbo ONE THOUSAND horsepower Corvette get beat by our little yellow NCLIGHT. Perhaps we should change our name to "Chick Car Racing" just to rub it in? :P
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Traum

Post by Traum »

Awesome results, Brian! I guess it really shows insightful Colin Chapman was, and how of course, how well you pulled the NC Light off. Congrats!

Here is a question for you though -- from the picture, it is quite obvious that you've taped up what would have been the front brake cooling ducts. Have brake cooling become unnecessary now that the car is feather light? Or was there some other reason behind sealing those openings up?

-Lik
What God has united, let men not divide.
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Indeed corner entry speeds are now so high that we have an issue keeping current brake package up to temperature. We need either more power for higher trap speeds to use the brakes we have, or a smaller rotor package for less thermal capacity. My current thinking is that I will start with reducing the rotor sizes to save even more weight.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com