NC Light

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Custom bracket by Tony to mount belt tensioner.

Big radiator, massive oil cooler! We cranked for oil pressure...and we got it. This is now a 6 liter oil capacity NC. :wink:

Rear RX8 brakes with two piece rotors and suspension (Speed Source sways) and axles are in. The brake rotors and axles are the only items actually new on this project, everything else from the motor to the Cosworth barrel throttle body, the chassis, the suspension, and transmission are all used and reconditioned items. Speaking of "used', that bloody finger is mine, no racecar is complete before it is properly baptized with a little blood. :lol:

The plan is to get on the dyno WEDNESDAY. SO, if we don't answer the phone Wednesday, it's because we are playing on the dyno. We have a ton of work into this thing, hope it actually makes power this week!
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
avkills

Post by avkills »

Eagerly awaiting those dyno results. That might be a good upgrade for those who don't have a daily driver and are weary of the Cosworth kit.

-mark
2006 MX-5 Sport; Brilliant Black; Enkei RP03 17x7 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus 215/45; RoadsterSport Q; Limited Slip
MX-5 Cup

Post by MX-5 Cup »

OMG... This car gone a be a 2,000 lbs beast ! :twisted:
I LOVE MY MX-5 :)
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

I hoped to get over 230. I was secretly wishing for 250. I didn't think we would do as well as we have here. Peak hp is actually a few points higher on this machine than our supercharged 2.0 (at least until we raise the redline on that one). Torque is still higher in our Cosworth Supercharged 2.0 at 215 ft/lbs with more area under the torque curve but this is really, really, good results and we don't have 30 pounds of extra stuff in the car.

Our goal was 300 crank horsepower and 2000 pounds....and it appears the power side of the plan is accomplished better than I hoped...right at about 300 crank hp. Hope to get on the scales soon and see what our weight is down to.

Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
nc4me

Post by nc4me »

Awesome numbers and thanks for all the pics. I'm eagerly awaiting some track footage.
2008 Galaxy Grey Miata Sport 5 speed: TDR2 Turbo Kit, Goodwin Racing Q exhaust, H&R front and rear sway bars, Tein Flex coilovers, Stock LSD added, and 17X9 Enkei RPF1's with 245/40/17 Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Specs
George

Post by George »

Holy moly! That's gonna be a fun car!
2006 NC, Copper Red
2.3L, BEGi Turbo, Enthuza 3".
nc4me

Post by nc4me »

I was wondering if you can go into more detail about the motor? I know it's a 2.5 block, but does it have stock internals? What head and cams are you running? I noticed the dyno goes to 7,800rpm. Also, is that your exhuast manifold? It looks a little different than the one on your web site. Maybe it's just my eyes or the angle of the pic though. Any info you're willing to share would be great.
2008 Galaxy Grey Miata Sport 5 speed: TDR2 Turbo Kit, Goodwin Racing Q exhaust, H&R front and rear sway bars, Tein Flex coilovers, Stock LSD added, and 17X9 Enkei RPF1's with 245/40/17 Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Specs
mykrrrr

Post by mykrrrr »

very nice Brian. you need video of these dyno pulls ASAP.
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

The idea was to recycle as much here as possible. The back story on the motor is that it is a bit of a Phoenix rising from the ashes. We got a bargain deal on the motor used, it came from our friend Jason Saini at MER out of their 25 Hours of Thunderhill NC. That purpose built NC racer caught fire a few hours into the Thunderhill event and burned from the back of the car through the firewall. The fire melted the harness and some plugs but left the engine largely okay...a bargain salvage. It is essentially a World Challenge built 2.5 from a Mazda3 with 12.5:1 compression pistons, race cams, on stock block, stock crank. World Challenge has a limit of 7800 rpms which is where that number comes from. The head has all the usual race upgrades including stiffer springs, oversized valves, etc.. We combined that salvaged race motor with many pieces off a dead 2.3 Formula Atlantic motor including the incredible Cosworth Roller Throttle intake and header, alternator, and numerous other used pieces. Before the dyno we figured out we had the wrong cam sensor and we pulled the sensor from the melted harness and cleaned it up...and it still worked. We were excited to find that the header from the 2.3 fit the 2.5 with no issues. Big thanks to Brian Sakata at Sakata Motorsports who specializes in both Motec and custom wiring harnesses for adapting the wire harness for our used Motec to this engine, and tuning the Motec on the dyno.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
RUKnight

Post by RUKnight »

That's one badass built Brian. I love that barrel throttle assembly, what's that cost normally?
Mike