Carbon Fiber NC Trunk Lid?

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
avkills

Re: Carbon Fiber NC Trunk Lid?

Post by avkills »

Brian wrote:Hmm, have thought about an extractor hood....likely at least as popular as the trunk lid.

By the way, got the carbon fiber hardtop completed.

http://www.good-win-racing.com/Mazda-Pe ... -1006.html

That is sweet!

-mark
2006 MX-5 Sport; Brilliant Black; Enkei RP03 17x7 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus 215/45; RoadsterSport Q; Limited Slip
twowheeled

Post by twowheeled »

not much interest here, being that the trunk lid is already aluminum. CF would be heading to the point of diminuishing returns for weight loss, I'd be much more interested in the aero stuff.
NC08

Post by NC08 »

An extractor-style CF hood with a nice OEM-style (duckbill-style) CF trunk lid would be nice.
Cyberbug

Post by Cyberbug »

CF Fendors would be a good idea, Wider to clear larger tires but same mean shape.

The CF trunk would be good idea but would appreciate it if you have a PRHT version as well.
RunningOnEmpty

Post by RunningOnEmpty »

CF trunk lid for PRHT? I don't think so.

As far as I recall, the change to the rear of the car brought about by the PRHT design required that the trunk lid went from aluminum to steel, as it was a requirement to add the necessary structural rigidity (under compression) lost in the changed shape to accommodate the new retracting top.

Being that the steel trunk lid in the PRHT is now an essential structural component, any CF lid would need to provide the same strength. CF is known as a strong material, and it certainly is in tension and where lateral forces are applied, but its ability to withstand compressive forces is not necessarily that of steel. That is a design issue that would need to be addressed.

Given that Mazda reluctantly found it necessary to do this for safety reasons, even with their so-called 'gram strategy', not such a hot idea for either yourself or your passenger out on the road.

My post is that type which is often referred to as 'Party Pooper' ... :roll:
jboemler

Post by jboemler »

I don't follow the PRHT much, but somehow the notion of considering something that sits on a cushy rubber insulator to be a "structural component" seem inherently flawed to me.
Cyberbug

Post by Cyberbug »

True for a stock car.

But considering the number of braces I have it may not be an issue, Including the rear trunk brace and adding a RB harness brace as well, plus all the other chassis braces.
FlagMiata

Post by FlagMiata »

Replacing almost any metal piece of the body with CF is going to change its crash worthiness, so a changing the the truck lid doesn't really matter. It would be nice to have to get back some of the weight that was added for the security of the top.