Question for Konig Feather or Helium owners

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.

Question for Konig Feather or Helium owners

Postby rob_go » Sat Jul 31, 2010 3:22 pm

I'm in the market for a new set of rims for my '02 miata LS and debating between feathers or helium. My question (and I can't find a picture from the right angle to confirm this): does the spoke portion of the rim stick out past the lip of the wheel? Like if you are viewing a cross section of the rim from the front.

I currently have a set of factory 5 spoke 16" wheels with practically brand new tires but one rim is bent. I thought I would get a set of 16" feathers and use my current tires. I love the look of these wheels but I can't stand to own wheels where the rim sticks out past the lip. A few of the pictures I see make it look like this might be the case. I think it's way too easy to cause serious curb rash on that kind of a rim. My other option is to try to find one replacement rim and get a set of 15" heliums or feathers later when it's time for new tires. But again, I want to make sure the rim spokes on those wheels don't protrude either.

Thanks in advance for your answers.

Rob
rob_go

Re: Question for Konig Feather or Helium owners

Postby Brian » Sat Jul 31, 2010 3:34 pm

Spokes on the helium do not stick out. But spokes on the Feather are a little proud....we have to use foam sheets between the wheel/tire combos of the feather when we pack them (particularly if customers go with the 195/50/15 size tire).
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Brian
Site Admin

Re: Question for Konig Feather or Helium owners

Postby rob_go » Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:10 pm

Brian,

Thanks for the speedy response. I wonder if my 215/40/16s would be wide enough to protect the 16 feathers. But it sounds like my best bet is to hunt for a replacement OE 16 and then get a set of 15 heliums later.

Thanks!
rob_go

Return to Mazda Miata and Fiat 124