Advice needed, new member with new MX5

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
Attila

Advice needed, new member with new MX5

Post by Attila »

Hi, I am a new member here and eventhough I read through a few threads here I would really appreciate some help with my planned mods from the more knowledgable.

I just got a new MX5 touring, softtop 6sp manual and here are the mods I am thinking about (the car will serve track duties - 12-15 track days a year so it is not gona be a track only car)

1. Exhaust, intake misc. : Roodstersport Q with their midpipe, and Racing beat MX5 intake.
Questions: Do I need a ECU tuning to optimize this setup? If yes, which one to get? Is there any better alternative?
Since I will be under the car I was thinking about this Beatrush Xbrace. Is it wort it?
Rollbars - rollcage I am in the dark on this? Any suggestion?

2. few months from now: suspension, brakes, flywheel
Ohlins coilovers planned. How bad will be the ride on everyday tarmac?
Good win racing 12.7 BBK. (I dont know how is making the kit) What kind of pads are available for the BBK. They say they never tested the OEM wheels. Anyone who might have tried? Would be nice if the fit.
Fidanza flywheel

Thanks a lot!
Brian
Site Admin

Re: Advice needed, new member with new MX5

Post by Brian »

Welcome

The exhaust and intake choices look good, no need to reflash ecu. Beatrush X brace is a nice piece and I run that on my own MX5 but that's the last item to do on your list, I would do all your future suspension mods first. On rollbars, see our choices in the online store here:

http://www.good-win-racing.com/Mazda-Pe ... -Bars.html

Ohlins are a great choice and you will be amazed how good the ride quality stays with the Ohlins, despite the much higher spring rates. Factory brakes are great, so I would also put the big brake upgrade toward the end of your list (like after you add a supercharger or turbo) and use that big brake money for better sway bars and wheels and tire upgrades instead.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Attila

Post by Attila »

Thanks Brian,
What would be your suggestion on sway bars with the Ohlins together?
Will the Sniper Tuning kit yield any significant gain with the exhaust together?
How about the lighter Fidanza flywheel?

By the way do you have the exhaust, intake, and the Ohlins on stock?

Attila
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Yes, all these goodies in stock. I love the Fidanzaflywheel in mine....but in terms of what gets you the best lap time, the suspension, wheels and tires will get you more bang for the buck. So, I would keep the light flywheel on the list but that's less important than the suspension, wheels and tires. On sways I like the our new Racing Beat sway bars...though they are having issue keeping up with demand so expect a slow shipment on that one.

I expect the DP TUNE setup is going to prove a better reflash....but it is not quite there yet. I would wait on that reflash and let their calibration improve and continue to develop.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
slartibartfast

Post by slartibartfast »

The Öhlins ride firm, which means "jiggly", but they are not harsh. They allow you to say off the bump stops and really improve overall ride, plus oversteer is much more consistent and manageable. Even with 235 Star Specs and stock springs/bump stops, lurid opposite lock oversteer was just an injudicious stab of the throttle away. With the Öhlins, oversteer is much easier to initiate, much less lurid and quite easy to control. I will say I have the Cobalt sway bars and they contribute significantly to the car's behaviour. Not sure I'm going to keep them, tough, I think they're too stiff.