Who wants AERO?

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
George

Who wants AERO?

Post by George »

Could we have a show of hands, to see who would likely buy a flat underbody and/or diffuser, if it was available?

Put me down as one.
2006 NC, Copper Red
2.3L, BEGi Turbo, Enthuza 3".
twowheeled

Re: Who wants AERO?

Post by twowheeled »

i would be interested, but it would have to be packaged in a way to make shipping feasible. I would also be interested in buying plans/drawings on how to DIY.
grey_NC

Post by grey_NC »

I'm in!!

as a matter of fact I have been e-mailing Brian about when it will be available but it seems he is very busy at the moment and no time to get to it yet. Therefore, give him some time since he is working on other products like carbon trunks (maybe) and production of the CF hardtop. He told me that he was aimming for somewhere around the end of august for the aero kit. Thats all I know for now.
George

Post by George »

No offence Brian, but why would you spend time developing a product, such as the CF trunk, with questionable benefit, when you could be selling underbodies? The benefit of which go way beyond 3-5lbs in weight saving.

How about a carbon or glass underbody please?
2006 NC, Copper Red
2.3L, BEGi Turbo, Enthuza 3".
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Hi George

Appreciate your continued interest on that item. We are still looking at the flat bottom panels but the complexity of the underbody panels presents serious production issues not yet resolved. We also have just about three customers express REAL interest (ready to buy and not just talk about how cool the product is), over about six months. Thus, the balance of the unresolved production cost issues (tooling quotes from our patterns so far...are in the range of THOUSANDS of dollars), and low demand for that item....means we can't give that item a green light until we figure out a way to do it economically. We have not given up, still hope to figure a way to get at least a few sets complete from the current patterns we have. You might be better off to find a local race shop to do a custom flat bottom directly on your car...and that may turn out LESS expensive than if we make it a production item. Think of it this way, one of the issues is that everybody has a different collection of braces under the car....and it is tough to tool the item to cover all the variations.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
v67gsr

Post by v67gsr »

George wrote:No offence Brian, but why would you spend time developing a product, such as the CF trunk, with questionable benefit, when you could be selling underbodies? The benefit of which go way beyond 3-5lbs in weight saving.

How about a carbon or glass underbody please?
No offense George, but it make perfect sense for Brian to develop CF trunk. It is more of a appearance item than performance upgrade. It is a lot easier to market, produce, and sell a CF trunk than a flat under body. Besides, lets face the inevitable truth. How many people will "actually" need the flat under body? I am talking about actual fact. Not people "thinking" they need a flat under body just because that is what all super exotic car equipped with. What is the point to have a flat under body on street? What is the point to have a flat under body when he is not even close to the any reputable lap time with the most usual performance bolt on? For example, why bother with flat under body when you are running 15+ mins a lap on the Ring? Obviously you have a MUCH bigger problem to deal with before any aero upgrade.

Again, no offense, I am one of the rare "get/make only what I need, not what I want" type driver/racer. Retailers like Brian hates customer like me but you should understand where my opinion came from. I totally understand Brian's approach.
grey_NC

Post by grey_NC »

i wouldn't mind a CF trunk so I could mount the gt wing on and mount/dismount it for track days =]
CHeavin_2006

Post by CHeavin_2006 »

interested in the development of the flat bottom kit..
Cyberbug

Post by Cyberbug »

I am interested but my concern is that I have aftermarket braces and this would have to fit those perfectly.

This may be one of those things that may require some custom work.
marcusowens

Post by marcusowens »

I just picked up my 2007 MT NC, so it may just be a matter of getting used to rear-wheel drive, but I've found myself really wanting more downforce in the front---the steering response/stability at speed leaves something to be desired. I'd definitely be in for a diffuser if not the full underbody, not knowing the $$$ makes it hard to say, though.