GWR header and RSQ on NC making popping sound on gear change

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
matthew-m

Re: GWR header and RSQ on NC making popping sound on gear ch

Post by matthew-m »

I finally got around to installing a Street Single Roadstersport muffler on my stock 2007 with PRHT. I have pops on deceleration and slow shifts - woo hoo!

The volume is about 10 dB louder (twice as loud) than stock, though all at lower (bass) frequencies. This is without the optional baffle (yet to be installed).

It is actually quieter with the top up than down - I mention this because I thought someone said it may drone with the retractable hard top models. I do notice more droning when he top is down...

I love this exhaust! (Though I couldn't imagine how loud it would be with a header & midpipe!)
Oz

Post by Oz »

Pops and burbles.....Puuuuuurfect!!
If you keep the throttle just a little open on the upchange you can get a better pop!
I have the GWR Header and RSQ in a std midpipe and the sound is truly awesome!
Just the way a sports car should sound

My only concern is that I've left the baffles in the tips to keep it just right....I'm going to need a little extra damping down once the Cosworth is installed less I attract attention from the noise nazis.
Rob Young
Black 2005 NCLE GWR Exh, Cosworth, Mototune, Ohlins, PF01
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Glad you like it...
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
njaremka

Post by njaremka »

matthew-m wrote:I finally got around to installing a Street Single Roadstersport muffler on my stock 2007 with PRHT. I have pops on deceleration and slow shifts - woo hoo!

The volume is about 10 dB louder (twice as loud) than stock, though all at lower (bass) frequencies. This is without the optional baffle (yet to be installed).

It is actually quieter with the top up than down - I mention this because I thought someone said it may drone with the retractable hard top models. I do notice more droning when he top is down...

I love this exhaust! (Though I couldn't imagine how loud it would be with a header & midpipe!)
yeah, old thread....

matthew-m: are you still running the street single on your PRHT? i am curious about your long-term thoughts about sound and drone.

thanks.
NaregM677

Post by NaregM677 »

matthew-m wrote:Can I get the popping sound without the header, since California won't let me install one? Or can I add the header and do something else to avoid failing smog checks?
As a Californian, the best advice I can give is to keep all your stock parts handy. When the time comes for a SMOG check (or the unlikely fix-it ticket), just devote a day to swap out the parts, take care of your SMOG or whatever you have to do, and put the aftermarket parts back on. Yes, takes time, but it's totally worth it.
2013 Miata Club "Shadowfax"
"And the road becomes my bride..."
matthew-m

Post by matthew-m »

Yes, I am still running the street single. I bought the baffle but I must not have installed it correctly because it is no longer on the car. :?

Droning isn't a big issue, no louder than wind and tire noise at freeway speeds. There is a nice tone when going over 4000 rpm. The best part is the pop & crackle on deceleration. Just another reason to change gears! :D

In other words, I still love it!
Matthew Metoyer
2010 Grey MX-5 GT, Manual, Sport Package, Street Single w/Baffle, FCM Coilovers - "GT" setup with KBO & Ripple Reducer, 16x8 wheels, Budget Big Brakes, Goodwin Underbody Braces, Cravenspeed Shift Knob