COSWORTH's SUPERCHARGER on the 2008 NC Grand Touring

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
Top Dwn

COSWORTH's SUPERCHARGER on the 2008 NC Grand Touring

Post by Top Dwn »

I would like to know, why the SC will not work on the 08 Grand Touring MX5 Automaic. I see that the information is for Manuals Trans. only and that thier is no information on putting the SC on the automatic Trans. What type of problem would a person run into?
Brian
Site Admin

Re: COSWORTH's SUPERCHARGER on the 2008 NC Grand Touring

Post by Brian »

It will work on the automatic...several customers are running it on the auto.

The question not answered yet is how much torque the automatic transmission can handle....and what the long term durability will be on the auto trans.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
fredmuggs

Post by fredmuggs »

I'm doin' the Bell turbo kit to my '07. Good sale and willing to find out what the AT will take.

Here's my very first Forum Question: Anyone know about how ECU's for the NC Miata, either OEM or after market, handle fluid pressures and shift points? I confess to having one of those evil American PSEUDO "sports cars" :twisted: on which I can program shift points and fluid pressures in the factory ECU with an off the shelf programmer. What's the story on Miatas?

How about clutch and valve body kits?

Thanks for the forum, Brian. I promise, henceforth, to be civil and not mention that evil, nasty American iron again.
fredmuggs

Post by fredmuggs »

Answering my own posts -- Ho Hum!

Found from four (unvalidated) sources that the AT in my '07 Miata should be SJ6A-EL (Miata '06 - '08) which is also used in the RX8 ('06-'09).

First source Level 10, which offers value body rebuild for $600 to sharpen shifts. Level10 says the trans is not controlled by the ECU, but by a separate trans controller which they can reflash or supersede for DOLLARS.
Second source: http://www.transtec.com/selector_guide/Mazda.htm
Third: http://www.autotransparts.com/MazdaTransmissions.html
Fourth: http://amtrans.nl/mazda.pdf

If the SJ6A-EL is, in fact, the correct trans, and is also used in the RX8, it should take a lot of power right out of the box. With a very little tricking, it should take a lot of really hard use.

Any additional info, like other valve bodies or kits, instructions for tricking or trans builders in the Charleston/Savannah areas will be welcome.

Thanks
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Good info Fred....not many boosted automatics yet so you may lead the way.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
grey_NC

Post by grey_NC »

this brings up another good question......what other cars are the 6spd/5spd tranny (06-10 mx-5) used in. I think an altezza enthusiast told me we have the same 6spd tranny as the altezza's.
fredmuggs

Post by fredmuggs »

grey_NC wrote:this brings up another good question......what other cars are the 6spd/5spd tranny (06-10 mx-5) used in. I think an altezza enthusiast told me we have the same 6spd tranny as the altezza's.
From searching on "SJ6A-EL" (assuming that's the real trans), only mention I found was the in the RX8 and Miata. I still don't know if it is a "genuine Mazda" product or a generic box used by Mazda. There all sorts of possibilities. For example, Mazda may make the box and sell it to others under a different brand or model number. I'm so new to Mazda (and them 'uther furrin' cars), I don't yet have contacts in the transmission business who know their stuff.

Brian, do you know anyone who can give an authoritative answer, or tell us what to look for under the car to identify our AT? Someone already knows this AT ID stuff. For me, 727's, C5's and 400's are one thing; but, heck, I had to dogpile search "Altezza"!

Thanks,
Fred
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Sorry Fred, no idea who would know. Everybody racing these cars uses the manual trans. Never, ever, see an auto trans come in for any performance work. Thus, have never had the reason to cross that bridge. Like I said above, you are largely in uncharted territory. There are a few street customers with boost on their auto trans but that's about it.

Actually, thinking more about it.....give a call to Stephanie down at Bell Engineering. I seem to recall they had done a turbo kit on an Auto MX5 and perhaps they have had opportunity to look deeper into the issue.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
fredmuggs

Post by fredmuggs »

Hello, All:

I'm still digging around for Auto Trans (AT) info. Found out Dynotronics has back engineered programming on Miata ECU. I asked the about the Miata AT. Here's the reply.

-------------------
[Fred to Dynotronics]
I'm concerned about viability/strength of auto trans. Do you have experience with auto trans controls? Do YOU reflash '07 auto trans control for higher pressures and firm shift to support superchargers etc?

[Dynotronics reply]
The asain Trans has been able to handle just about anything tossed at it so far, so I would not worry too much about it with even the meanest supercharger set up.

We have looked at the TCM on the MX5, and yes we can adjust the files in this unit, however again, from testing, and real world long term work, it seems to handle the SC pretty damn well

Joseph McClughan
Dynotronics,Inc
http://www.DPTune.com
--------------------

Thanks,
Fred