Ron Bauer's DP MX-5 build

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
rpmchris

Re: Ron Bauer's DP MX-5 build

Post by rpmchris »

WOW :shock: That's sweet! What coilovers are you getting, Ron?
'06 MX-5 Sport 6-speed
Autocross junkie!
ronbauer

Post by ronbauer »

@Chris, I decided to go with new Moton Club Sports. They have been updated for this year and now have 14 clicks of adjustment for both compression and rebound vs. the old 7 clicks. As you know, I had Club Sports on my CSP MX-5 and I loved them.

I was also seriously thinking about the ASTs, but the new non-canister model that they were waiting on just seemed to be taking too long and the price came in higher than expected. That said, Moton now also has a non-canister model and the prices are fairly similar between the two.

I'll be interested in hearing about your experiences with the ASTs.

Anyway, the Motons should be showing up soon. I can't wait to see the whole car down at the height it should be and get rid of my DP Paris-Dakar car..... ;-)

Ron
Reitrof

Post by Reitrof »

Ron, Why is the guage cluster in the middle?
2008 PRHT Touring True Red, MazdaSpeed body kit
RSII, RX8 Sways, KW V3 Coilovers
Kenwood DNX7100, Nautilis Horn
ronbauer

Post by ronbauer »

For the time being (until I get the computer reprogrammed) the gauge cluster has to be in the car for it to run. Because I no longer have the dash, I needed to mount it somewhere. I experimented with keeping it close to the stock location, but between the lower seating position, the smaller steering wheel, and keeping the height adjustable steering column, there just wasn't a way to mount it that allowed me to see the tachometer good enough. So, since I was already building the center stack, it made the most sense to put it there. It's not optimal, but it'll work for now.

Ron
rpmchris

Post by rpmchris »

ronbauer wrote:I was also seriously thinking about the ASTs, but the new non-canister model that they were waiting on just seemed to be taking too long and the price came in higher than expected. That said, Moton now also has a non-canister model and the prices are fairly similar between the two.

I'll be interested in hearing about your experiences with the ASTs.
Tell me what you know about the new Moton model...it's not on their website. What's it called?
'06 MX-5 Sport 6-speed
Autocross junkie!
ronbauer

Post by ronbauer »

Huh, interesting. I don't see the information either.

From what I've been told, Moton has updated the Club Sport to have 14 clicks each of adjustment for rebound and compression. They've also come out with a "no-can" model which gets rid of the canisters in an effort to bring down the costs. While there is definitely a price difference between the "can" and "no-can" options, I decided that I'd just buck up (pun intended) and get the traditional "can" version.

I plan to be running this car for a long time, so I didn't want to go cheap and regret it later. Of course that said, the Motorsport shocks are even better, but the pricing on those is beyond my range!

Ron
ronbauer

Post by ronbauer »

After posting and reposting updates to a number of different sites, I've decided to just do one central blog and then post updates via a link to the blog. So, here's the most recent update. http://bauerspeedracing.blogspot.com/

Since I have a lot of the build on the blog, you can also get more in depth information than I've given here.

Ron
ronbauer

Post by ronbauer »

The newest "toy" for the car. This is a speedway style bar from Tri-Point Engineering.

Ron
Attachments
swaybar2.jpg
swaybar2.jpg (86.27 KiB) Viewed 6846 times
swaybar1.jpg
swaybar1.jpg (81.88 KiB) Viewed 6846 times
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Yummy!

I have the same on NC LIGHT. Before anybody asks, it is too much bar for any street Miata...and likely too much for any MX5 that doesn't have the grip of Ron's DP Project or our NCLIGHT.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
ronbauer

Post by ronbauer »

Well, after waiting 3+ months for the Motons I ordered, I cancelled those and purchased some AST 4220s. Here is the first picture with them installed. :mrgreen:

Now in for an alignment tomorrow and hoping that the weather is good this weekend for the debut!
Attachments
First pic with ASTs.jpg
First pic with ASTs.jpg (96.68 KiB) Viewed 6717 times