CELs P0038 & P0130

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
Velocifero

CELs P0038 & P0130

Post by Velocifero »

I just picked this NC up and it already has some modifications. It has some combination of RB header/ midpipe and RS header/ midpipe. I do not not which one is which regarding the 2 brands. The header is wrapped so there is little to identify on it. Is there any easy way to tell them apart? I have the 2 topic codes displayed and I just installed new sensors with the GWR extension wires, the sensors were not connected at all before me, they were merely screwed in and the wires were all cut about 4" out of the sensors. I need to get this thing through emissions asap, no visual just ODBII hook up. Should I use the old spark plug defouler trick or should I look into a MIL eliminator? All suggestions and debate welcome...

BTW I have put my 2003.5 Mazdaspeed Protege rims on the car and it looks fantastic. They are heavy but the darker 5 spoke RacingHarts truly look good on this RED NC.
Brian
Site Admin

Re: CELs P0038 & P0130

Post by Brian »

Downright bizarre that former owner cut the wires to the sensors. I suggest repair of the sensor wires.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Velocifero

Post by Velocifero »

He's a good guy, but is a little off, in a fun way. I believe he was planning on re-wiring the sensors but it never happened or the plugs got ripped off due to not being plugged in. First thing I did was replace the sensors themselves and used the extension wires to reconnect. They are all standard sensors with plugs now, no soldering required and more factory spec anyways. I used a CenTech Scan tool to clear the codes and I've also recorded some drive data but haven't gotten to look over that yet. Busy busy. Adding to that, the codes come right back after clearing them and driving as pending and then once I turn the car off and back on they are stored codes at that point and trigger the CEL.
Brian wrote:Downright bizarre that former owner cut the wires to the sensors. I suggest repair of the sensor wires.
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Assuming there is still a converter in there....it may be need replacement. You may need a muffler shop to put a fresh converter core in there.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
jasonMX5

Post by jasonMX5 »

If it is the RB midpipe I don't think it has a converter at all so it will continue to fail. Also if you reused the old sensors they may be bad because they haven't been heated and when not heated they can't clean themselves so they get a buildup.
2007 NC, 6spd. True Red, BEGi turbocharged. Supporting mods.
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

I missed that in the first post. Indeed if no converters in the system then it should continue to fail smog.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com