P0421 CEL

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
jboemler

Re: P0421 CEL

Post by jboemler »

Makes sense why you're unsure about it. I would think very few people would actually change configurations once it was installed, and the cost for any one configuration would be higher than a dedicated part. Perhaps if you extended the concept back into the mid-pipe, it would allow you to market a 4-2-1 setup, which has seen some demand.
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Yeah, it's a creative thinking exercise for the moment. I too have doubts about how many would bother to swap back and forth....though I think many would appreciate having the choice. You are certainly right that the downside of the extra cost may be enough to kill the project. Nonetheless, work will continue for the moment on seeing how 'quick change' we can make it....and what tooling would cost, etc.

Also, still thinking about that full length 4.2.1 header...but I have even more doubts about market size for that. Somebody will do it at some point, but it will be like the Maxim or 949's Laguna header for NA/NB and cost $1500 each. Lot's of folks say they want it until that price hits them in the face and they fail to step up. Emilio at 949 Racing is a great friend and we joke about the projects that we have done because we want the product for our car, and regardless of whether we ever sell one. That full length 4.2.1 project is at least a $5000 investment to get it right, perhaps $10,000 with tooling, and we might sell a few at $1500 each....but not enough to ever pay for the project.

I think the modular header idea has broader appeal.....if for no other reason than the fact that it can slot in with whatever midpipe the customer has already invested in, and customers like choice.

And then there is my other modular project....the "Super-Q Muffler." Sorry, just going to tease you on that one for now. :lol:
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
AZ Sun Lover

Post by AZ Sun Lover »

Brian wrote:Beat that dead horse, beat it, beat it, and beat it some more! Seriously Randy, I am coming to your door for Halloween dressed as a blinking engine light because we know it will scare you to death. :P

You have made this point dozens of times now. Just the other day you made it again at Miata.net. And again several folks jumped up in that thread and said they don't get the code you got with their normally aspirated performance header installs. At this point the number of owners running normally aspirated with a performance header without having any code issues.... is THOUSANDS of owners. You don't seem to understand that you had something wrong on your install, with your custom wire extension job, perhaps a damaged sensor, or a wire that just never got fixed right, who knows..... Bottom line, I am sorry you never got it figured out and gave up and that a light has caused you so much stress that you feel the need to post about it weekly for the rest of your life. Some people need to stay stock, if a totally 100% harmless light is going to keep you up at night, I suggest avoid the risk and not ever again try a performance header.

We are the only stocking dealer for that PPE header, good unit...and indeed it means less chance of code, particularly if you put the second sensor out past the midpipe converter so that you have two converters between the two sensors (like the stock arrangement). But, I must warn you...that some autocrossers have had the PPE core fail...resulting in that light you hate so much! PPE has changed the design and the updated core materials seem to be lasting much better.....so far. But, there is always risk in trying things that only a few dozen have tried and in the long run it is possible the new PPE core will fail and give you a light. Seriously, if that risk is going to keep you up at night and post about it forever, perhaps it is not for you.

I suggest you try out a different attitude, one that embraces failure! Failure is often the BEST opportunity to learn, and try different things. When something breaks, I consider it an opportunity to improve upon the design. Obviously PPE feels the same. And so does Racing Beat. For example, those early extension wires for the O2 sensors had issues and broke regularly, and we worked with Racing Beat until a company was found that could deliver a much higher percentage of success and reliability. We are also working on the header and I have a new modular version on the drawing board that may, or may not, see the 'light' of day. I intentionally go out and race the snot out of my NCs in a way that few do, with the intention of breaking stuff repeatedly so I can find stuff that needs improvement...and breaking stuff is FUN with the right attitude.
Brian,
1. "THOUSANDS" of sales must be a good living. I'm sure you work hard at your business.
2. The wire extensions's I bought fell apart, and you refunded my $ thanks. So I had someone else soldier up extensions, had no choice. :roll:
3. "totally 100% harmless light" Can't pass emissions with a CEL glowing, therefor can't drive on the street.
4. "second sensor out past the midpipe converter so that you have two converters between the two sensors (like the stock arrangement)." I thought both 1st & 2nd 02's are in the header. :?
5. "breaking stuff is FUN with the right attitude" If my wallet got fatter not thiner maybe? I make a meager living.
6. I guess your right I should just keep what little money I make in my wallet and don't buy any more go faster parts.

Oh, what kind of candy do you like? I will make sure we have it in super size for you & your lovely wife.

Take care Mr. Goodwin,
AZ
Last edited by AZ Sun Lover on Sun May 22, 2011 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
jboemler

Post by jboemler »

Brian wrote: And then there is my other modular project....the "Super-Q Muffler." Sorry, just going to tease you on that one for now. :lol:
Cruel SOB. :wink: