Our New 2012 PRHT SS Project....

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
JamesK383

Re: Our New 2012 PRHT SS Project....

Post by JamesK383 »

Bart wrote:Do you ever intend to try Koni Sports on the 2012 PRHT project? I'll bet I'm not the only one that would like to see what the outcome is.
Bart, I have a 2008 PRHT on Progress Springs and Koni's.

What did you want to know?
honestobob

Post by honestobob »

How is the ride affected by switching from the factory HD Bilsteins to the Konis with Progress springs?
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Koni is lower pressure by design, effectively drops the car another half inch or so compared to new bilsteins (less if Bilsteins are already old).
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
JamesK383

Post by JamesK383 »

honestobob wrote:How is the ride affected by switching from the factory HD Bilsteins to the Konis with Progress springs?
Well, my suspension was changed with about 80K mi on the car. It they were, as Brian says "Long in the tooth", so they were already ready to change (but my buddy has 2008 PRHT with low mi.) and I swapped the Stock springs and shocks all at the same time. (too much trouble for me to want to do it twice, so i also installed the FCM bump stops and progress anti sway bars too)

The ride is flatter, more balanced and still very comfortable.

I drive 45mi to and from work Monday to Friday and have no regrets. I have my koni set at their middle setting so there is room for more comfort if i wanted, but don't feel i need it.

I live in SoCal and have taken Road trips to San Francisco, Los Vegas, Yosemite and Arizona, and never felt uncomfortable because of the stiffer ride.

I am 33 years old, but even my 63 year old father (w/ back pains) agrees that the change in ride was not detrimental. He wants me to do the same to his Volvo C70 now too. :roll:

The drop in height is not so low that you need to be aware of it while driving either. Occasionally, if i am careless over a speed bump then it will bottom out, but it is extremely rare.

I love my setup.
Bart

Post by Bart »

James, I see that you have Progress sway bars installed. How do you have them set up? I was under the impression that with the Koni Sports the Progress sway bars would be to ridged. And you'd want to put the original back on the car. Is that your experience?

honestobob asked my other question.

Thanks
Bart
JamesK383

Post by JamesK383 »

They are set to the middle settings per Brian's install recommendation, and I have never bothered to explore changes.

But everything I have said before included the anti-sway bars.

No regrets.
JamesK383

Post by JamesK383 »

Brian,

I have project proposal for your PRHT.

Develop a kit for lowering the stock seats.

I would buy this in a second.

Look at all the demand here on miata.net: http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=319461

This thread has been active and at the top of the board since 2009.

What do you think?
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

I don't get much request, and likely more relevant to my car, our 2006 Project Blue since I am 6'2 myself....but I will look at it.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Chris Thompson

Post by Chris Thompson »

I lowered both of my seats 1-3/8" in my 2008 PRHT. It was not particularly easy to do and it is reversible if the next owner wants me to put it back stock.

One problem I have not taken time to resolve is that the passenger seat sensor will not recalibrate. It thinks a small person is always in the passenger seat. The weight sensor for the smart air bags is a very sensitive cable tension system. I'm certain I twisted the seat frame slightly when bolting it back to the floor. The entire restraint system is still otherwise fully functional so I just keep the seatbelt locked and it's really no problem.

I've done 2 rain days of autocross comfortably with my top up and my helmet clears the hardtop by at least 1/2" or so. You have driven my car, Brian. I bet with the top down you didn't even notice you were that much lower.

I think a seat lowering kit would sell very well. Particularly since (I'm told) most tracks will allow PRHT's to run on "track days" with stock "roll bars" if you keep the top up.
'99 Base Sport with bolt-on hardtop and '08 PRHT GT. I love them both. SCCA, PCA, BMW San Diego region #105
JamesK383

Post by JamesK383 »

Brian it is definitely more relavent to you than your wife but it is something needed for PRHT owners looking for helmet space under roof like me.

Anyways, I am excited you are willing to consider this and I hope it gains traction.

Thanks.