Our New 2012 PRHT SS Project....

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
Brian
Site Admin

Re: Our New 2012 PRHT SS Project....

Post by Brian »

Wow, great update!

Happy to know this project's adventures continue!
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
fbirch

Post by fbirch »

Brian, great thread with lots of good info. Just picked up an ’09 GT, and I’m considering an exhaust swap, mainly for sound, but a few extra ponies would be nice as well. I’m considering this combo: GWR catted street header + Helmholtz mid pipe + Super Q. Here are my questions:

1. What happens to AFR (relative to stock exhaust) when running this setup with stock tune?
2. You mention that the biggest impact of a tune is removal the 2nd gear torque limitation programmed in by Mazda. How big is that limitation, and why did Mazda put it there in the first place?
3. How much louder than stock is the above combo under hard acceleration? Same question for steady cruising?

Apologies in advance if I missed the answers to any of these questions already included in the thread.

Felix
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Car's ECU AFR targets do not change and it just adjusts to keep hitting the same targets as before.
The removal of 2nd gear limits very noticeable, I do not know precisely why Mazda did it but my guess is they worried that some drivers might be alarmed if they would get the car loose with torque not limited on the shift to second. The Helmholtz midpipe does an amazing job, result is the full three piece setup just mildly louder than stock system under all conditions, still far less sound than many sports cars are in stock condition.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
fbirch

Post by fbirch »

Thanks for the quick reply. I have a couple street/track cars with aftermarket exhaust systems, so I'm accustomed to louder-than-normal exhaust noise. The stock NC system seems extremely quiet to me, to the point of diminishing some of the fun. Even so, I plan to use the NC for long weekend cruising, so I don't want anything so loud as to become tiresome for a long stretch. So the choice is between the catted and catless header, and it's a bit tough not having heard either in person. If you know of any customers in my local area (south Louisiana or Gulf Coast - MS, AL or FL) that have either system and would be willing to let me hear it, perhaps you could shoot me an email.
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

I will add the setup with cat was designed on this project, which was my WIFE's car and prime directive from the Wife was to NOT make her car TOO LOUD. Thus, I would say the setup with cat and helmholtz is so mild that many will think it is stock if you do not tell them. And, the Helmholtz midpipe is so effective that even with the catless headers it is still just a bit more, still all mild all the time. We sold our Project Blue yesterday and customer buying the car expressed his surprise at how quiet that car's exhaust is, despite having our new oversized and catless 1.8 inch primary header matched to the Helmholtz midpipe.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
LouisV638

Post by LouisV638 »

Alignment question. Just set up my 2013 PRHT like the SS project Car with the progress springs and sway bars. When I took it in to get aligned I requested the settings Brian posted to start off with. The alignment place said they could only get it close. Is there a reason why they wouldn't be able to set me up with Front and back camber at -1.2, Toe 0 front and back and caster at 5?
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Classic NC issue, see the details in the product description for the springs. Did the installers have those printed out so they understood the stuck bushing issue that is common on this NC suspension? Hopefully they did, but even if they did, expect some time for suspension to settle lower. As it settles lower you will have access to more negative camber, and without doing anything more it will likely get more negative camber as it settles. If they got close, then they likely did it right and setup just needs that time to settle lower.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
LouisV638

Post by LouisV638 »

Thanks, Well, I did the springs and sways myself, I'm to blame. I was just happy there weren't any nuts and bolts left over when I was done. Did torque them under load, but may not have bounced them up and down with enough aggression. Just feel better knowing that it is a normal issue. Most of what people complained about was the height of the ride, not the actual alignment issues. :D
TimC880

RAKE!!

Post by TimC880 »

RAKE!!! Damn RAKE!!

Heading South on 215, and I ran over a cement rake... A DAMN CEMENT RAKE! Zero body damage, but it took out the condenser and the radiator. Got her loaded up and delivered to Rocky in San Diego for repairs.

HATE RAKES!!

Working on the list of upgrades, since Rocky has the car will use this forced repair to upgrade a few items.
1. Engine Shield: Would have saved me all of this trouble (Brian I see your shields, but not for NC?)
2. Aluminum Coolant Expansion Tank: Radiator needs replacing, will upgrade the tank during the install.
2. Radiator Protective Screen: protection from road debris. metal rake would have ripped it apart, going with Shield?
4. KOYO MX5 Miata High-Performance 36mm "HyperCore" All Aluminum Radiator: Don't think I need the Triple.
5. Something I will discover after talking with Rocky: Rocky do a 100-point check to make sure I'm 100%

Picture of the Rake on the 215 was courtesy of the M6 Plus Dash Cam. It is a great dash cam, as you can see from the single screenshot of the video, the quality is perfect for its price point. I've been so busy, I haven't completed the DashCam installation, Wires are just hanging down to the USB Port. Will complete the hard-wiring and get all of the wiring tucked under the plastic molding when I get Shasha back from Rocky. I need to complete install while I'm still in 'repair mode' Great dash cam, with nice features for the techy minded driver.

Need a tow? In Southern CA? Mark luckily, stopped about 5 minutes in the forced roadside inspection. $120 to go about 70 miles. Not a bad deal. Marks Towing 951-378-3410. A good number to have if want to transport a car anywhere in Southern CA.
Attachments
The sound it made, was Horrific!
The sound it made, was Horrific!
Getting ready for Transport
Getting ready for Transport
Rake ripped through the plastic shield!
Rake ripped through the plastic shield!
TimC880

Post by TimC880 »

UPGRADES

Goodwin Racing Triple-Pass Radiator!
I travel to extremely hot climates in CA and AZ and can benefit with the boost in cooling. Keeping this car until the
Mark V comes out. Should be about 7 more years for the next MX5 redesign.

NC Aluminum Coolant Expansion Tank!
Since the Radiator is getting replaced, this is a no-brainer.

Cobalt Engine Shield
Picture attached explains why I got the shield, especially with a lowered and tighter suspension it should prevent
future engine damage. Engine Shield will also help box-in the Radiator to help keep a positive airflow through
the Radiator.

Side Note, I rented a Convertible Mustang, brand new with only 8 thousand miles on it. At first was shocked at the room of this convertible and a little jealous. As I drove it throughout the day, I really missed the performance or feel of the MX5. Mazda made a better sports car! I felt like I was driving a sedan with how the mustang performs. Definitely, can't wait to get back into the Miata.
Attachments
Internal Damage
Internal Damage