Buzz from engine bay after installation of full exhaust

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
seatac

Buzz from engine bay after installation of full exhaust

Post by seatac »

I recently had a Goodwin Header, midpipe, and tail pipe installed in an otherwise stock '08 GT soft top. I love the sound and feel it has, however I have an incredibly loud buzz from about 2-3k rpm. Everything seems to be well secured but I think it might be coming from the headshield next to the header.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? I'm fairly convinced that the heat shield is the problem and I'm wondering if there is a way to reinforce the headshield or if it would cause problems removing it entirely? If I'm way off base in my assumption other suggestions of where to look would be great.

Thanks.
Brian
Site Admin

Re: Buzz from engine bay after installation of full exhaust

Post by Brian »

My guess is the very small heat shield around the first O2 Sensor. It is perhaps 3 inches in diameter and will make a rattle if loose. See the header install notes on this point in the installation section. In brief, bend it a little with wrench until it stops....or add a little tack weld.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
seatac

Post by seatac »

Thanks Brian. We'll give it a try.
Dubcity

Post by Dubcity »

I finally installed my GWR header two days ago on my RHD AUTO NC.At cruising rpm everything's normal but if hit the throttle and the rpm climbs i get a vibrating type of buzz on the steering wheel(something like the PS2 vibrating controller)just constantly.The header passes close to the steering column and transmission but doesn't touch it.I also installed the Track Dog header blanket which does touch the steering column.Could the vibrating feel be transfered form the header to the blanket then the column?or could it be somewhere else?
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

The engine rocks..and blanket should not be in the gap because that migjt be enough to cause the issue. Also check and adjust midpipe slip joint as needed to avoid contact wirh underbody braces.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com