NEW LONG TUBE HEADERS.....

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
amoore311

Re: NEW LONG TUBE HEADERS.....

Post by amoore311 »

Finally fixed everything for him last night, with the same 18 AWG Wire.

I ended up pulling the sensor completely off the car and re-soldered every connection myself. I experienced the same issue that you did MorrisG. It took a lot of heat, but I got everything wired up correctly and soldered up just fine.

He reported last night and this morning no codes, so hopefully everything is good to go.

I will also say to just buy the stupid extension cable. For the $40ish bucks they cost, they are WELL worth the cost.

You can also get tested/used sensors from miata salvagers for around $150. That will be the direction we go if this fix ends up not working long term. Used Front o2 + Brian's Extension Cable.
MikeN009

Post by MikeN009 »

Brian wrote:Already been discussed in some detail, see the discussion page 9 and 10 of our thread on Project Blue 2006. More testing is planned.

I wonder if you custom tune for each header if that would change the results.
Chuck H

Post by Chuck H »

morrisg wrote:PPE Long Tube Header Component Weights:

Header ~14 lbs; catted pipe is 7.7 lbs; Magnaflow resonator is 6.5 lbs; rear pipe is 3.5 lbs; clamps and hangers ~3 lbs.

Total with no muffler or tail pipe: 34.7 lbs

Goodwin Race Single is ~7 lbs, so the whole system could come in around 42 lbs.

Stock muffler is ~26 lbs. I'll let you know what the other stock system components weigh after I take them off.
Figured I'd revive this thread from the bone pile, since I just got my new 1.63" PPE long tube header and decided to weigh everything. My el-cheapo bathroom scale doesn't seem to be all that repeatable, so the weights are probably only good to half a pound or so.

The new header with PPE ceramic coating came in at 15.4 lbs., which makes sense since the primaries are larger tubing.

At first I weighed the whole midpipe in one shot and come out with 15.6 lbs pretty consistently. Then I weighed the different pieces separately and came out with 7.2 lbs for the cat pipe, 5.4 lbs for the resonator, and 4.0 lbs for the rear pipe. Of course, when you add those up, it comes out to 16.6 lbs total. :?: And my bag of clamps and bolts came in around 3.2 lbs.

One thing I noticed is that PPE seems to have switched away from Magnaflow for the resonator. It still looks like a 14" long, 5" round resonator, but not sure who makes it. It also seems to be about a pound lighter than the Magnaflow one.

So the take-away is that the whole setup is all but identical to the 1.5" version in weight. The header is about a pound heavier and the midpipe is about a pound lighter.

Can't wait to get it installed and post some driving impressions.
2019 Arctic White RF GT-S
SmartTop, coilovers