New to Autocross Classes and MX5 Modding

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
jboemler

Re: New to Autocross Classes and MX5 Modding

Post by jboemler »

An NA is a great choice for a track car. You can drive it nearly stock, and improve it along the way as you get better and better. And should you decide you want to try yur hand against other drivers, it becomes a Spec Miata without too much trouble. It's a great value for what you get, at any level of prep. You DO want to get a dedicated track car, if you're going to do anything more than a fun putt around the track. Once you start driving fast, you WILL blow it sometimes, and it's gut-wrenching when you ruin your daily car. I learned the hard way, and won't do it again.
eluviis

Post by eluviis »

Yeah, I hear you. My original plan was to track my DD. But, that was me thinking with the head of a rich guy (not me right now, ha!). There are other variables added to the equation as well. Due to my lifestyle and the sports I do I need a truck as well. If I buy a track car later on, we're talking I'll have the truck, the NC AND the NA. Add to that my wife's car and we have a 4 car family. Not sure I like that too much. Hahaha. But at the same time, I don't want to give up the NC to drive around in a truck simply because I need one for hauling stuff sometimes! I heard a guy say that those who loved fast and nimble cars build race cars. Then they need a truck to haul them around. So, in essence, people that love fast nimble cars drive trucks! O.o
My car: The 1995 RallyWays Miata
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

EVERY Miata that I buy starts as a daily driver......and I usually have delusions about keeping it a daily driver......right up to the point that it looks like this:

Now we buy the new Miatas for my wife.....with the idea that it will keep me from going too radical too fast with it. :mrgreen:
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
eluviis

Post by eluviis »

^^^^Hahaha. At least you have the excuse that it's R&D for the business!

I've modified cars but never for track or auto X. So at least I'm not prone to easily ending up with some beast like that. My problem is ALL my interests and hobbies end up conflicting with each other! :mrgreen:
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

eluviis wrote:^^^^Hahaha. At least you have the excuse that it's R&D for the business!
Yeah, that's what I keep telling the wife...as we are about to buy our FIFTH NC for parts development.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
mitchman

Post by mitchman »

As someone suggested earlier in this thread, just build up the car slowly. Especially since you're just starting with autocross....the car won't be the limiting factor for getting fast times, you will be. :)

Start with tires, then an alignment, then shocks, then springs. Add an exhaust anytime you feel like it. Etc.., etc...

After a couple of years, you'll have a clear picture as to where you want to go.
'06 MX-5 (STR)
rpmchris

Post by rpmchris »

ronbauer wrote:You are too finicky.... :lol: Ron

I used to DD my CSP MX-5 and loved it. Our STR-light car will also be daily driven.

Ron
My CSP MX-5 is STILL driven daily, but not usually far...I take the train to work now (less wear and tear, plus fuel prices stink) and only drive it to the station, maybe 5 miles each way. I maybe drive it all the way to work (23 miles) two to three days a month.
'06 MX-5 Sport 6-speed
Autocross junkie!
eluviis

Post by eluviis »

BTW, I'm curious as to prices of already built Spec Miatas. Do you guys know where those are usually listed so I can go take a peek?

EDIT: OH! By the power of Google, I found SpecMiataClassifieds.com - Looks like those can go anywhere from $5K for a beater to $20K for a nicely and clean well prepared racer.

Just looking ahead. If I can get my ducks in a row I'll get to that level little by little. I'm not in a hurry, but I do see the possibility of one in the next several years. Maybe by then I'll have a good truck to tow it with.
ronbauer

Post by ronbauer »

IMHO, STR allows a majority of the things most people would want to do to their car for a fun daily driver. I'd look at the ruleset and try to build your car within those limitations, then you have a place where you can run and be at least somewhat competitive. Don't worry about getting $4-5k shocks. While they are necessary for top level National competition, they aren't
needed to be competitive locally.

BTW, again IMHO, the NC is still very comfortable on the street even with fairly aggressive spring rates. A decent set of coilovers will do wonders all the way around.

Ron
jboemler

Post by jboemler »

The other Spec Miata site you should be aware of is mazdaracers.com.