Selecting a Shop for INITIAL Setup

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
fredmuggs

Selecting a Shop for INITIAL Setup

Post by fredmuggs »

Hello, All:

I'm having Tein Monoflex Coilovers installed on my NB '99 dedicated track/school car.

Question -- What questions should I be asking as I screen shops to do an initial setup on my car and what answers should I look for?

Background -- I'm 63 and want to actually drive for a couple of years, before the reflexes are complete gone. So, rather than spending years trying to become a genuine Miata racecar mechanic, I'm having shops and dealers do much of the wrenching. For example, timing belt & associated pieces will be done by a dealer. Non-technical bolt-in stuff: header, exhaust, roll cage, initial coilover bolt will be done by a local shop.

Now, I need to select a really competent shop to do an initial setup and balancing of the car on the new coilovers -- not a complete "sorting" -- just ride height, spring rate, alignment, ballast.

But I need at least a minimal education to be able to ask the right questions of shop candidates. Thus: What questions should I be asking as I screen shops to do an initial setup on my car and what answers should I look for?

Thanks,
Fred
South Carolina

PS: There was a link on the Forum to one setup system, but the link no longer works. Thanks, Fred
Brian
Site Admin

Re: Selecting a Shop for INITIAL Setup

Post by Brian »

Hi Fred

I would check with local Miata club about where the other Miata enthusiasts are going in your region. Perhaps ask at the Spec Miata forum where those guys are going in your region.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com