Back in Winning Blue. Our 'new' Project Blue!

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
ourly

Re: Back in Winning Blue. Our 'new' Project Blue!

Post by ourly »

When do we get to see this on the dyno? I can't pull the trigger until I see what your header is doing numbers wise.
Rick
grippy

Post by grippy »

I have to disagree, my custom Crower cams, which I assume are similar to Mike's 1.5's, added a nice hump of torque between 3k and 4500 while also bumping peak HP from 5800 to 6500. I have no noise from the lash caps and rev to 8200.

I have been patiently waiting to see the header results, I hope they will put me over 200WHP from 184 now. Do you have an ETA on that yet?
Attachments
before and after cams.jpg
Gordon Andrade
06 Miata
COMSCC #10 SC
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Mike from MotoEast arrives on a plane late Monday with the plan to tune this project now that new motor is run-in. Header on the car today is stepped 1.8 design PPE prototype and once we have numbers for that will try big 1.8 shortie to compare.

Not clear to me which line is which on your chart. But assuming the torque line with big bump into 3500 rpm range is your 2.5 post cams then it makes my point, notice what happened 'off the line' from 2000 to 3000 rpms. Your project does go to the track, makes perfect sense to me that you want that bump up at 3500 and beyond but for pure street driver my suggestion is that it doesn't make sense. This customer is talking dedicated street driver and for that the sacrifice of the torque leaving the line is a negative in my view. I have driven about 30 of the 2.5 conversions at this point from my own extreme "NC TRACK LIGHT" which came alive north of 5000 rpms to my current project here that comes alive much like yours north of 3500 rpms....but I miss the standard 2.5 cam profile that comes alive right off the line without a clutch dump. Every time I drive a fresh install of standard 2.5 here to tune it before delivery to the customer I am impressed with how much fun the standard cam profile is because it will pull hard from idle....without having to get north of 3500 to have the fun push you in the back.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
ArmandH180

Post by ArmandH180 »

Which crower came did you go with, grippy? Mike at motoeast advised against them because I have VVT. I'm still doing my research but crower cams would save a few hundred if indeed I did go the cam route.

Back to you Brian - I think my description of my cars use was lost when I initially typed my build list. Damn browser froze up on me and I had to retype it all. I DO actively autoX my car. My thoughts are since the whole engines performance puts the stock 2.0L to shame even at its lowest torque then I don't mind what I'm not missing for some mid range torque benefit. I have a tendency to find my redline frequently.
'06 NC1 Sport in Winning Blue Metallic 155k miles
- Fidanza 7.6lb flywheel with Exedy Stg1 Clutch
- 2009 2.0L motor and trans 32k miles

My detailing business: www.facebook.com/arhindrichsllc
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Ah, then indeed cams for 2.5 make perfect sense for your autocross toy.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
grippy

Post by grippy »

You are correct Brian, I'm not sure what happened to my legend but it is obviously mixed up. But I think it is clear what each line represents. 2.0 vs 2.5 vs 2.5 with cams
Yes my car is track only and I spend very little time below 3K, but it does launch hard usually spinning the tires.

I had Crower put their stage 2 (3/4 race) profile for Duratec on a set of stock MX-5 cams so I could retain the VCT. Mike did the tuning on it and I believe his profile is a modification of mine.

Can't wait to see the header results, would love to see comparison between current shorty to the 1.8 shorty.
Gordon Andrade
06 Miata
COMSCC #10 SC
Curves

Post by Curves »

Brian wrote:Mike from MotoEast arrives on a plane late Monday with the plan to tune this project now that new motor is run-in. Header on the car today is stepped 1.8 design PPE prototype and once we have numbers for that will try big 1.8 shortie to compare.
Is Mike taking appointments for tuning other cars? I already have my tune from him but would not mind an update on a dyno run.
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Talk with Mike on that, I know he needs a few hours on ours for E85 tunes....but can use the dyno all day, figure $80 an hour for the dyno time plus whatever Mike charges.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

DATA!

I know it has been a while since you guys have seen data on this car so here you go!

MOTOEAST MIKE doing his magic tune work on our Project BLUE 2006. In Sum, this is a 2.5 high compression motor including Mike's mild 1.5 cams and port and polished head running on corn....and currently the prototype 1.8 inch PPE header. With the change to corn and addition of LOTs more timing Mike got tip in response nice and sharp and the torque curve flat from early....such that I like the cams more now. :D

This is E85, prior 'stock' motor was on 95 octane for dyno work, 100 for track days for extra insurance. The E85 availability is growing...and it has amazing benefits in keeping motor clean, helping keep it cool, and effective octane way over 100 for cost of less than three bucks per gallon!
Attachments
Project-BLUE-2.5.jpg
Project-Blue-DYNO-25.jpg
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
ourly

Post by ourly »

Brian and Mike,

Very productive day, great results, nice work. What numbers can I expect to see without high compression pistons?

THANKS,

Rick