Back in Winning Blue. Our 'new' Project Blue!

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
eluviis

Re: Back in Winning Blue!

Post by eluviis »

Nice!! ^^^ Quick phone video of the exhaust look/tone perhaps? :)

My vote for Tein Super Streets or Mono Flex. I was going to vote H&R, but I can't see that you carry those in your shop. So Tein then.
My car: The 1995 RallyWays Miata
Chris Thompson

Post by Chris Thompson »

Brian wrote:Also did a bigger KOYO radiator upgrade in anticipation of BOOST! Sorry, can't tell you more just yet on the boost plans, but it is coming! Pictures to follow. Hope to have this KOYO option available for customers soon. PICTURES of KOYO INSTALL IN OUR FORUM INSTALLATION SECTION.

Also installed, the Complete Roadstersport Combo of Max Power Header, Midpipe and Q exhaust. It already sounds and runs stronger!
BOOST! I like the sound of that. CARB legal I hope. Must be something different than your Cosworth offering. Very interested. I'd probably already have the Cosworth if I could smog the darn thing. I'm about to come visit you about a full exhaust for my '08. Just too dang busy at work right now.
'99 Base Sport with bolt-on hardtop and '08 PRHT GT. I love them both. SCCA, PCA, BMW San Diego region #105
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Got some emails asking what the status is of the "Out of Stock" Street Single.

The answer is that we are doing some experiments with internal baffle design. Originally designed the Street Single for street customers using it on an otherwise stock NC Miata. I also needed something that could get our autocross car under local SCCA 93 db sound limits with the full header and midpipe and SUPERCHARGER. Thus, I expected customers for this item to be street customers with otherwise stock cars....and track guys needing more sound suppression than our RoadsterSport Race for tracks like Laguna and autocross events with sound limits. What I did not expect was that a lot of street customers would use the Street Single with the full header setup. But lots of customers are using it on Miatas with headers and asking if we can do a "Street Single" that somehow gets sound under more control when used with a header...and without adding too much weight to the package. Hmmm...that's a TALL order but we are seeing what we can do and two of the prototypes are shown here, each with different additional internal baffle designs that add at least a pound to the 10 pound weight.
Attachments
GR-019 Proto.jpg
GR-019 Proto.jpg (20.73 KiB) Viewed 15948 times
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Follow up question for the readers here, do you want our new rolled tip on "Street Single" that we are using on the new version of the RoadsterSport Q? To max the lightness the Street single has never had a tip, just straight pipe. With the extra internal baffles and rolled tip we might end up at 13 or 14 pounds. The argument against the rolled tip is that racing customers regularly use a slip on turn-down on the end of these to point noise away from sound meters at tracks like Laguna Seca.

Later edit: We went ahead with Street Single and the new Rolled tip, picture here on STR class local racer.
Attachments
STR-MX5.jpg
STR-MX5.jpg (47 KiB) Viewed 13789 times
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Chris Thompson

Post by Chris Thompson »

Brian wrote:Follow up question for the readers here, do you want our new rolled tip on "Street Single" that we are using on the new version of the RoadsterSport Q? To max the lightness the Street single has never had a tip, just straight pipe. With the extra internal baffles and rolled tip we might end up at 13 or 14 pounds. The argument against the rolled tip is that racing customers regularly use a slip on turn-down on the end of these to point noise away from sound meters at tracks like Laguna Seca.

I say rolled tip with with a turn-down accessory pipe that can be aimed or removed :mrgreen:

Brian, please let me know if you have a single (any single) I can try out with my PPE LTH. I really LOVED the sound of the Q with my otherwise stock system. However...not completely happy with the Q and PPE LTH combo. It's a bit ricer sounding... you know...like a trumpet? It is better (deeper tone) with the baffles out than with them in but then it's a bit louder accelerating at low RPMs. My thoughts are it's not so much about how loud it is so much as the sound it makes. Perhaps I need to buy a single?

The power increase with the LTH is substantial...no doubt and I'm pleased with that! I also will need to drop in and see Brad for a header blanket real soon.
'99 Base Sport with bolt-on hardtop and '08 PRHT GT. I love them both. SCCA, PCA, BMW San Diego region #105
roadster_nh

Post by roadster_nh »

Brian -- not to hijack the thread, but since we're on the topic of exhaust development, is the 'Super Q' still on the radar?
2003 LS FFS
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

roadster_nh wrote:Brian -- not to hijack the thread, but since we're on the topic of exhaust development, is the 'Super Q' still on the radar?
Not at this time.....

Head over to page 6 of the Project PRHT SS thread (LINK) for what we did for latest Q design (which is third generation Q). In short, we changed the tip for third gen of the Q but internals stayed the same as second gen Q, because everything else we tried could not beat our second generation Q on the dyno. I don't get too many requests for something even more quiet than second generation Q. Back in the day of the first gen Q we did get lots of those requests from customers running superchargers and full headers. Second gen Q brought the sound level down a lot. But if we had enough requests from owners of second or third gen Q (like the comments of Chris Thompson above with PPE long tube header) we could still do something even more quiet, which was the "Super Q" idea. We won't get a small single anywhere in the range of quiet that the Q is, though we could make a BIG single more quiet than Q (but I doubt much interest in a 26 pound single?).

Chris, have you tried adding one of the optional packed baffles for driving around town? If not, you might try one on either the driver's side or passenger side outlet.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Chris Thompson

Post by Chris Thompson »

Brian wrote: Chris, have you tried adding one of the optional packed baffles for driving around town? If not, you might try one on either the driver's side or passenger side outlet.
Not yet. I'll give them a try along with a race single (for race days). I did notice there IS a performance increase by taking out the (included) reducing baffle along with reducing most of the trumpet sound. The only sacrifice with removing the baffle is coming right off a dead stop there is a brief period of acceleration that's a bit loud.

By the way...the quality of construction with both PPE and Roadster stuff is top shelf. I know what I'm looking at too, being a 55 year old motorhead.
roadster_nh

Post by roadster_nh »

Brian wrote: ... I don't get too many requests for something even more quiet than second generation Q. Back in the day of the first gen Q we did get lots of those requests from customers running superchargers and full headers....
Thanks Brian, that's not surprising. I like my Q with the full exhaust setup, but just wondered.
2003 LS FFS
Flex

Post by Flex »

Brian wrote:Follow up question for the readers here, do you want our new rolled tip on "Street Single" that we are using on the new version of the RoadsterSport Q?
Yes I'd like it, thanks !
NC1 - Bilstein B16 - Eibach sways - Alleggerita HLT 8J17 - Kics Leggdura lug nuts - Advan Neova AD08 225/45 - Maruha brake pads - 4.1 R&P