Back in Winning Blue. Our 'new' Project Blue!

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
MX5MXIE

Re: Back in Winning Blue!

Post by MX5MXIE »

Hey Brian,

How about for a simple start, put both your RS Mid-Pipe along with the RS "Q" on it.

I would love to see a pure stock "before" Dyno pull and then the "Mid-Pipe and Q combo" Dyno Pulls.

Your forum shows the Mid-Pipe with the RS II combo Dyno Pulls, so how about showing us how the Mid-Pipe and "Q" work together.

Especially now that I have both the RS Mid-Pipe and RS "Q" on my 2006. (love it!)

Thanks! :)
06 Winning Blue GT, aka Mxie; 6mt, Sport Susp Pkg, Prem Pkg 2, X-Pel Clear Bra, Wolo Air Horn, RoadsterSport "Q" + Mid-Pipe, RX8 Red/Yellow Dot Sways, + Kansai FST Brace.
2006 Winning Blue Registry Link
Curves

Post by Curves »

I'd like to see the ultimate CARB legal Canyon Carver. That is where I am heading with mine. I spent 4 years autocrossing and HPDE my former Boxster S. Now looking to convert my new MX-5 into the ultimate Canyon Carver.
skeeler

Post by skeeler »

Brian wrote:
matthew-m wrote:a big brake kit currently in the works that fits stock wheels to drop another five or more pounds of unsprung weight off each front corner to make even better handling WITH even better ride quality, etc.
This. I'd be interested in buying this. (On a related note, I'd love to see a BBK for the rear of the NC. Reuse the stock caliper, but mount them further out to allow use of weight-saving 2-piece rotors.)

Also, I agree with what others have said. You have the '12 PRHT as the super-commuter that adds performance without compromising daily drivability. You have the supercharged car, the turbo car, and NC Light to show what extreme mods can yield from the NC. I'd like the new, awesomely colored car to take a middle road: maximum performance while maintaining full streetability but with some loss of comfort. An STR build makes a ton of sense; that's where most of the NCs I see at autocrosses run. (Be aware that fender flares are not legal in STR.) As a total coincidence, I run my car in STR.
2009, STR & DD. 1995, HPDE. 2004 MSM, sold. 2010 Mazda3, hers.
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Yep, if we go STR direction will do serious pull and roll of factory fenders.

I don't expect much demand for rear big brake kit given that RX8 rear factory brakes are available as a pure bolt on and we already have two-piece rotors for RX8 rear.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
skeeler

Post by skeeler »

Brian wrote:Yep, if we go STR direction will do serious pull and roll of factory fenders.
Just FYI, fender pulling is not allowed in STR either. I believe the rule states that the inside lip of the fender may be rolled, but the outer profile of the fenders cannot be altered.
Brian wrote:I don't expect much demand for rear big brake kit given that RX8 rear factory brakes are available as a pure bolt on and we already have two-piece rotors for RX8 rear.
Good to know. If I get a front BBK, I'll likely do this on the rear. Thanks.
eluviis

Post by eluviis »

^^^ Good to know about the BBK RX8 rears. I'd be interesting in that new front kit and the RX8 bolt ons for the back,
My car: The 1995 RallyWays Miata
AZ Sun Lover

Post by AZ Sun Lover »

I don't see why one would need a BB kit for a street car. You *may* need bigger brakes if you tracked the car and had a lot more HP. I would like to see two-piece rotors for the OEM brakes. The Miata got good brakes from the factory!

I'm guessing from the feedback is you (Brian) should do your take on an STR car. You might want to first do a car for the Cali. boys who can't change the exhaust.

I'm going to try to re-install as much of the OEM heat shields to an after market header as I can. I will be using the OEM mid-pipe for the cat. Hopefully it will look a lot like a OEM exhaust system. You should have to take a good look to see it's not. Again I'm going to *try*, it may not work but you got to try. (I like playing as long as it doesn't cost to much.)

AZ
Last edited by AZ Sun Lover on Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Factory brakes on the NC are indeed FANTASTIC. Thus, big brakes not needed for better street braking. On the on the other hand, if we can drop over five pounds of UNSPRUNG weight per corner in the front so that we improve feel, modulation, thermal capacity, RIDE QUALITY AND HANDLING TOO...then it becomes a no-brainer for me. The effect of the big brake kit on both ride quality and handling will be like buying a $3000 dollar set of ultra crazy light weight Volks wheels.....except you don't worry about bending them on the next pot hole....or getting stolen off the car.

Here is a sneak peak, notice the spacers so this kit installs complete even with stock 17x7 wheels!
Attachments
Miata-NC-Big-Brakes.jpg
Miata-NC-Big-Brakes.jpg (101.84 KiB) Viewed 14371 times
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
skeeler

Post by skeeler »

^^^ Preach it, brother! I've been considering your current BBK for a while, but I wanted something that would fit under my 17x9 RPF1s. If what you have in mind will fit those as well as the stock 17s, I'm sold.
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Let the Mods Begin!

I held off as long as I could....and this week we finally started into it.

First up, SWAY BAR upgrade! Installed yesterday and loving the upgrade today as the car is much more flat in the corners. Coilovers coming soon, but which choice? The Ohlins are the best, my favorite.....but also the obvious choice. Perhaps we should play with the KW or another choice such as TEIN on this project?

Also did a bigger KOYO radiator upgrade. This is a prototype and we installed it in anticipation of BOOST! Sorry, can't tell you more just yet on the boost plans, but it is coming! Pictures to follow. Hope to have this KOYO option available for customers soon. PICTURES of KOYO INSTALL IN OUR FORUM INSTALLATION SECTION.

Also installed, the Complete Roadstersport Combo of Max Power Header, Midpipe and Q exhaust. It already sounds and runs stronger!
Attachments
Koyo NC Radiator MX5 Miatas.jpg
Koyo NC Radiator MX5 Miatas.jpg (190.25 KiB) Viewed 14488 times
Q muffler.jpg
Q muffler.jpg (44.98 KiB) Viewed 15947 times
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com