CONFESSIONS OF A LIFELONG TINKERER... I recall once that my good friend Emilio from 949 Racing was delivering a few hundred of his excellent wheels to us and then was wandering around my work bench area looking at all the unfinished projects and muttering aloud: "yeah... tried that, tried that too, and that idea too," or words to that effect. I know he understands me because each batch of his wheels is better than the prior as he too continues to tinker and improve his designs, despite the fact that it has often led to long delays in delivery of his wheels. I readily admit that I share the same 'flaw' in that I sometimes have problems finishing a project. Or perhaps I should say that no project is ever actually finished, we simply reach a point where we must get it into production because customers are hungry for it and my further tinkering is not likely to result in further significant improvements. It sometimes drives my wife nuts....she is the corporation's CFO (which stands for Chief Financial Officer or Chief Female Officer....not sure which
), and eventually she arrives at my desk to tell me something like: 'do you realize you have over a year and $$,$$$ dollars in this project!' That has happened again here as the one year birthday for when we started spending big money on prototypes for testing is in August and I am determined to arrive at that date with product in customer's hands. On the one hand, I wish I could finish projects faster than I do, but on the other hand I am usually much more happy with the result when we hold something long enough to get it just that much better. My heart felt thanks to all customers who have been patient in waiting on this.
Here is a shot that shows the 49 degree angle Second sensor O2 bung installed so the sensor can point back in the direction of the lead. Somebody already emailed me about whether we can make similar mod to eliminate first O2 Sensor extension and so far I don't think so. With our short PPE header the first sensor is not near as far down as it is on this header. And though it is possible to follow the wire for the extension back to the harness, release it from the bracket that holds the plug, and then cut away enough of the tape, etc., to get it released all the way to the alternator....and thereby get the first sensor installed without the first extension......the cord for the first sensor is a bit more taut than we are comfortable with.. and thus I think the better practice will be to use the first extension cord. I certainly continue to reconsider this point over and over as we have now successfully on the longer second sensor extension but for the moment that's my best thoughts on the matter.
On the Springs with Progress, also delayed because of my continued tinkering... I need to pull the springs off the 2012 project car and get them back to Progress but we are testing some other stuff on the car today at an autocross event and I didn't want to add that change as yet another variable. Hopefully I can pull the springs early next week and get them back to Progress.