roadster street header

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
OttoW026

Re: roadster street header

Post by OttoW026 »

Thanks for your quick reply.

I too look forward to testing it out :)
'08 PRHT Anti-Sway bars, Coilovers, GWR Header, GWR Mid-pipe, GWR Q muffler, Enkei RPF1, DpTune...
MX5MXIE

Post by MX5MXIE »

I would sure love to hear comments from several of you that have this new header on for a while, when you do get it.

I have the RS "Q" and RS Mid Pipe. The volume is no problem, but the bass sound that comes out of it when hot is about at the max I can deal with. I had to put one of the supplied baffles in the passenger's side after the last club drive we had, as I was tired and the Bass was bothering me.

But, What is weird, is that with the OEM Mid Pipe. I felt a slight boost in torque with the fiber packed baffle installed in the passenger's side. Now that I have the RS Mid Pipe installed, I feel the car does not accelerate as well with a baffle in the right tip. (just me?)

Before I could consider one of the new street headers, I would need to know how the new header effects the bass sound coming out of the exhaust pipes. I can deal with more volume, but I don't think I can deal with more bass. I used to play a Trombone MANY Moons ago, and had a good ear for pitch. So too much bass (whatever that may be) gets overwhelming to me.

So after you have one for a while, please report back as to how the Bass sounds is effected.

Thanks!
06 Winning Blue GT, aka Mxie; 6mt, Sport Susp Pkg, Prem Pkg 2, X-Pel Clear Bra, Wolo Air Horn, RoadsterSport "Q" + Mid-Pipe, RX8 Red/Yellow Dot Sways, + Kansai FST Brace.
2006 Winning Blue Registry Link
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Sorry, open the pipes more and you get more Bass...and same is true with the new header. My wife loves it, but sounds like it will be more than you want.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
MX5MXIE

Post by MX5MXIE »

Brian wrote:Sorry, open the pipes more and you get more Bass...and same is true with the new header. My wife loves it, but sounds like it will be more than you want.
Bummer,.....

My wife has no problem with the Bass my Miata now produces either, so it must be my ears.

Thanks for your feedback.
06 Winning Blue GT, aka Mxie; 6mt, Sport Susp Pkg, Prem Pkg 2, X-Pel Clear Bra, Wolo Air Horn, RoadsterSport "Q" + Mid-Pipe, RX8 Red/Yellow Dot Sways, + Kansai FST Brace.
MX5MXIE

Post by MX5MXIE »

From e-mailing with Brian, I think I found out some of the "why" concerning my problem. It seems I have the previous version of the "Q" which has the larger 2-1/4" output tubing going to the tips, and this lets more Bass come out of the muffler body. The more recent "Q" has the 2" output tubing which cuts back on some of the bass sounds.

So I want to try to find a used "Q" with the 2" output tubing and the previous straight tips.

OR,..... Maybe someone out there wants to trade a newer "Q" with the old style tip for mine with a more bass sound? Mine is just under 3 years old, so not tons of miles on it.

When I get a newer "Q" with the 2" output tubing, and the straight tips, I will then be able to judge whether a Header could be my next step.
oldjag

Post by oldjag »

Brian, Any info on when catted street header to ship? Thanks.
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Finally....first FIVE of the new Street headers are complete and will be boxed by tomorrow! :mrgreen:

BUT, not going to ship that first five until next week. :evil:

Had some issues on the suppliers getting us the converter cores we ordered. Even the 'correct' cores that finally showed are not quite what we were supplied for construction of our prototypes. The insides, or the 'guts', are the same but the case ended up slightly longer than the prototypes we were supplied. That difference is only about a quarter inch of extra length and we were able to make the minor adjustment in the JIG but this means we won't ship the first finished five tomorrow so that we can get one here from the factory early next week to just double check that the small JIG adjustments didn't create any unforeseen fitment issues. Assuming that test fit of the finished product goes well, then the first five will ship to customers next week and by the following week we should be in full production speed and filling all the pre-orders.

Thanks to all who hung in for the long wait.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
colt45

Post by colt45 »

MX5MXIE wrote:
When I get a newer "Q" with the 2" output tubing, and the straight tips, I will then be able to judge whether a Header could be my next step.

What about sell your old Q? I'd be interested in discussing it.
Chatanooga
'06 Sport 6MT Ohlins 70N/50N
IBA/COG
Oz

Post by Oz »

Hey Brian,
Can you give me some information on the efficiency of the cat, as a cat, in this header when compared to the OEM unit.
A number of guys here in Oz are attempting to get Cosworth fitted NCs through our emissions testing so they can be legally driven on Australian roads.
This has involved pulling the Roadster Sports headers and installing the OEM one with the obvious detriment to flow and installing OEM midpipes.

It would be a huge bonus if we could get the flow of this street header yet still have an efficient primary cat.

Oh and it would need to fit RHD...which might be a problem.
Last edited by Oz on Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rob Young
Black 2005 NCLE GWR Exh, Cosworth, Mototune, Ohlins, PF01
matthew-m

Post by matthew-m »

Any chance of this header passing California smog inspection? How about CARB approval?

Thanks!
Matthew Metoyer
2010 Grey MX-5 GT, Manual, Sport Package, Street Single w/Baffle, FCM Coilovers - "GT" setup with KBO & Ripple Reducer, 16x8 wheels, Budget Big Brakes, Goodwin Underbody Braces, Cravenspeed Shift Knob