Any autocross events in San Diego with decent seat time?

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
Curves

Re: Any autocross events in San Diego with decent seat time?

Post by Curves »

Chris Thompson wrote:Curves, what year was your Boxster-S? How does it compare overall to your NC? I'm genuinely curious about a Boxster or Cayman as a future ride.
I leased a 2001 Boxster S for 4 very enjoyable and fun years. I used to track it so it was in the shop a lot for oil leaks. This is expensive because they had to drop the engine in most cases. Thanks goodness for warranty. I did not end up purchasing it due to future repair $$.

I now have a 2012 Miata SE. Comparing stock to stock, the Boxster is a superior car in every way. BUT the Miata is more fun on canyon runs.

If someone said you can have a free Boxster or a free Miata but you are not allowed to sell it, what would I choose? It depends on what I am going to use it for:

Track: Boxster
Canyon Runs: Miata
Daily Driver with a lot of freeway and a weekend Canyon Run car: Boxster

Now I have the best of both worlds

Daily Driver: BMW 325i
Fun Weekend Canyon Carver: Miata

The only thing I would want more is a Lotus Elise instead of the Miata. Light = FUN!
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Most of my Miata friends who have moved to the Boxster have eventually come back to the Miata....often with long stories about how the power steering pump would fail and blow fluid all over the engine if they drove it hard on track or similar... etc.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Chris Thompson

Post by Chris Thompson »

Curves wrote:The only thing I would want more is a Lotus Elise instead of the Miata. Light = FUN!
I saw a cute little orange and blue 2006 Elise a few months back. It appeared to be perfect other than having 78K miles on the clock. Offered the owner $25,500 cash. He turned my down flat wanting $27,500 (too much). Also looked hard at C6 Vetts. Lot's of those around for $25K.

Saved myself an easy $10K over either of those cars and I honestly feel I got the better deal (for me) with my perfect low mileage 08 PRHT MX5 for $16,500. If I put that $10K in my '99 it still would not be a Lotus but it would certainly hold it's own against one.

Interesting (and scary) info on Boxster leakage from you and Brian. I also was hearing tales of frequent clutch replacement. Like every 30k miles? Not sure why that would be. Cayman's are so darn pretty but I saw a brand new one lose a valve stem seal or something at the PCA AX 3 weeks ago. Smoking like crazy after 2 runs. Unsettling.

Thanks Guys!
'99 Base Sport with bolt-on hardtop and '08 PRHT GT. I love them both. SCCA, PCA, BMW San Diego region #105