2001 clutch vibration

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
Weaver 01

2001 clutch vibration

Post by Weaver 01 »

I have a 2001 Miata, Clutch vibration drives me insane at times, the longer the drive the worse it seems to get...
From most of the information I have read this was a pretty common issue for the 2001 year model. I would like to know if changing to a more aggressive performance clutch or lightened flywheel would help this issue or maybe even eliminate it completely????
Or are there any other cures for this problem?
Brian
Site Admin

Re: 2001 clutch vibration

Post by Brian »

Yes, common complaint with the factory 2001 clutch and changing to something like our Exedy Stage 1 will cure that.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
MX5MXIE

Re: 2001 clutch vibration

Post by MX5MXIE »

FWIW,... I had a clutch problem with my previous 2002 when I bought it. But my problem was only when the clutch was cold. It seems in the years around 2001 and 2002, Mazda used a clutch disc material that absorbed moisture, so it chattered badly when starting off from a stop. Once it heated up it was OK.

But I believe yours is something different than mine, and the fact that it gets worse when hotter concerns me. If I were you, I would get it checked soon as this could be a more serious problem. I would take Brian's advice above!
06 Winning Blue GT, aka Mxie; 6mt, Sport Susp Pkg, Prem Pkg 2, X-Pel Clear Bra, Wolo Air Horn, RoadsterSport "Q" + Mid-Pipe, RX8 Red/Yellow Dot Sways, + Kansai FST Brace.
2006 Winning Blue Registry Link