Currently running a '97 in STR trim with the following setup (came with the car):
* KYB AGX with Ground Controls, 375/250
* FCM bumpstops
* FM front bar, stock 11mm rear, 949 Endlinks
* 15x9 6ULs with 225/45/15 RS3's dry. 15x7.5 Rota Slipstreams with 195/50/15 R1R's wet.
* FM rear top hats. Stock NA fronts.
* Corner balanced, about 12.25" front ride height. Slight rear toe in, -1.8 all round.
* All else stock
Loving the car and posting pretty decent times, but obviously the suspension leaves a lot to be desired. Front is pretty much always on the bump stops. I need to get to a 700/400 setup.
I also track the car in our regional Time Attack series and I want it to do well there, but autocross setup is primary. It is street driven, but only between events. Comfort is low priority and I doubt anything would ride worse than existing KYB setup anyway.
Currently I'm looking at the following upgrade paths:
* Koni Race front, sport OTS rear (don't NEED the race for 400 spring and I'm concerned at the race's lack of rear droop. Valid concern or not?). Retain the FM rear tophats, replacing the bearing with a Koni fitment one (I've heard thats an option?)
* Ground Controls with 2.5" springs or (and I have some people telling me this is the wiser option) source the Koni sleeves and run 2.25"
* Keep the current bump stops
* Drop down to 12" ride height, max out front camber, go with 0.4 less in the rear.
* Run the stock sway for track, none for autox
B, Gold card)
* Xida Clubsports. And done.
There's about a factor of two price difference there from what I see.
My main questions:
* Is the Koni setup legitimately fast, or just a stop gap measure? Sure they're cheaper, but they won't be if I get frustrated, take them off and buy the Xidas.
* Would it be unwise to get the Sports for the rear instead of the Races? Would the Races even work right with the FM hats?
* Ground Controls vs the Koni Sleeves. Not sure of the advantages and disadvantages here.
I've had a season and a half with the car, had it co-driven by some very fast guys and I'm satisfied that I am getting everything I can out of it time wise right now.
I would also need some advice on spring lengths for the Koni setup. Car will be setup as low as is ideal for speed.