A couple questions on DD mods, exhaust/CAI and coilovers

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
Fat Broke

A couple questions on DD mods, exhaust/CAI and coilovers

Post by Fat Broke »

Hi Brian,
New owner of an '06 auto soft top, Grand Touring if relevant.

Is it necessary to have a "tune" done if I replace the exhaust? Or if the exhaust and the cold air intake? Or can I run just fine without the tune, I know on my bikes if I change both I need a new jet set or in the case of my fuel injected a "remap". I am hoping to avoid he ~$419 for a retune if not needed initially unless it will run like cr@p.

And second question around coil overs (or shocks and springs)... I won't track the car just DD and mountains twisties on he weekends. I am SO confused about quality of ride with shorter springs and Koni's or other, I think I want 2" or 2.25" lowered, remove the gap maybe stuff it a little :-) but definately NOT slammed, WA state some funky roads. I want to install 17x9 RPF's and 235 or 245, mild fender roll doesn't worry me. I am adding your recommended sways as well.

I want a nice comfy ride (i assume that's possible) I was looking at the coilovers on the site, assuming that was the most comfy solution and would allow me to perfect the height. The bilsteins jumped out at me as they had the statement "you don't need to remove suspension to adjust height". Is the norm suspension removal for height adjust? Ohlin's require removal, KW's or Teins... ? If there's a comfortable spring and shock combo that will drop me a couple inches and fit the 9's with 234/245's maybe that's the way to go, rather overwhelmed at the moment.

I will get the height right and install And alignment and leave it, it may take me a bit for softness and the no tools clicks sound appealing.

I would like an economical solution but I don't want to save a few bucks for a huge drop in quality. However I am in no stretch of the imagination "made of money". I just need a good setup up for a street car.

All of this stuff is in my cart and ready to pull the trigger once I am adequately educated.

Thank you for the education...it's keeping me up at nights!

-Matt (sleepless in Seattle). :shock:
Brian
Site Admin

Re: A couple questions on DD mods, exhaust/CAI and coilovers

Post by Brian »

You don't need to do the reflash....but the reflash will maximize your results and it will run more precisely with the reflash. Obviously you can install all the breathing mods and give it a drive before you decide to go for the reflash. Unlike your bikes, the factory wideband in these cars should adjust fuel trims to the better breathing but some adapt much better than others (variation in the sensors and Mazda has over two dozen base calibrations in these cars).

For a street car I think the 235/40/17 is plenty (I see no need for 245 unless running STR class autocross). Given the range of lowering you seek I would look at our Tein Flex coilovers.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Fat Broke

Post by Fat Broke »

So the only outstanding questions I have (please pardon my ignorance) is can I adjust height with the Teins easily without removing? After initial install and alignment if I raise or lower <1" post alignment do I need to align again?
Thanks, it's quite a few bucks I just want to spend with all the facts.
-Matt
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Yes, to adjust height you jack up one side of the car and pull the wheels and adjust as you like. You will gain/give up camber with the adjustment. That doesn't require another alignment, but obviously you want to get it close to your final desired heights before you do the alignment.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Fat Broke

Post by Fat Broke »

Another couple of questions for you... All parts have arrived except the Teins, they will arrive Monday :-)
I was going to pay a shop to install the teins but after climbing under the car and installing the sways and muffler, plus looking at the installation section it looks fairly easy.

Here's the question, with the Teins do I need a spring compressor? The instructions for ohlins/JIC mention the need for a second set of hats or some such item...Or any other specialty tools? If not, I'm going for it, then I can spend those $ on more parts! And get your help to get this to max torque/hp.

Also, I was just looking at the stock shock tower brace, it's solid over the tower, am I going to need to change it out for the new coil overs? If so will the cobalt unit bolt up without troubles? I was reading about the auto with air conditioning line issues on one of the other ones.

Thanks! - Matt