P0421 code

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
Brian
Site Admin

Re: P0421 code

Post by Brian »

dynotronics1 wrote:A P0421 has nothing to do with the tuning on any of these cars. It is simply the ecu not seeing the noted difference in cat efficiency that it is programed to see. Cars running without cats will see this, unless you remove the BIT that signals the light, run a cat between the two sensors, or use our mini cat in the second sensor position. Both Dynotronics, and Motoeast can turn off the light for you if you run uncatted.

As far as our tuning, let me assure all of you, we stand behind our tuning 100 percent. If you have any issues, please feel free to contact our office,Flyin Miata, or me directly via email or phone, and we will proptly address them and get you fixed up.

BTW, Brian, you are not quite correct here; if the tuning on the SC car is too rich, it will eat the cat. Likewise, too lean will do the same. But there really is no reason the install of a FM supercharger should cause a cat to fail on its own. Flow wise, the fatory cat is more than large enough to handle the increase( notice I said the cat, not the tubing, or manifold), and there should be no increase in EGT, assuming proper mixture.

BTW, we have a customer bringing his 06 with sc to install one of your new catted manifolds next week(or two). I'll be happy to share the results with you vs the PPE they have on the car now, if your interested. I'm hoping it does well since the price and quality look so good
Joe, with your tune our car went massively rich on light throttle. We had THREE different wideband units on the car but we didn't need any of them to see the cloud of fuel in the rear view mirror on light throttle. Thus, we had the worst of combinations, boggy pig rich performance in light throttle use and lean under full boost. That does kill a converter fast, converter efficiency falls off a cliff with repeated gas flushing.

As for your testing of anything on your dyno, I really wish we could put stock in any results from your dyno. Sandor's car was on your dyno for weeks, that became months...that became over a year? Or was it even longer? In the end of your work after so many trips to your dyno the only place it seemed to run was on your dyno. I think it was Jay at TDR that finally made that car run? Sandor would tell me about the great dyno results on your dyno, and then sadly later report how poorly the car ran in the real world....and this cycle repeated over and over. Greg Melia's car also 'tuned' on your dyno and didn't run for squat in the real world. Thus, I just have zero reason to believe anything from your dyno, though I would love to see a customer do that comparison on a third party dyno (I just don't consider you a third party impartial dyno). But I am willing to be surprised, so surprise me....
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
dynotronics1

Post by dynotronics1 »

Funny thing is, with the very few logs you sent us when working on your car, that was not the case. I still have copies of your files and logs if you would like to see them to refresh you memory

As far as tuning your car, I think it came down to the fact you were unhappy you had to deal with us thru flyin miata, and that we would not sell to you direct due to our contract with them. I think I have those emails also here somewhere if you like. Tomato/ tomato

Brian, I don't wanna get in a pissing match with you, not my intention. Point was to tell our customers that if they have an issue, contact us direct, and we will be more than happy to fix it. If I have to hop on a plane to get the issue solved and make one of my customers happy, that's what we will do. However if I don't know about it, I can't fix it.

There are several picks for tuning now days, so we have had to up our game a bit. Mike at M-E is very good at what he does, I have nothing but respect for him. He has been very good at making us stay on the ball. The result of this is that what you get today for tuning is eons beyond what was available two years ago. Both M-E and Dynotronics have remote tuning as a standard, and we are both look towards the future with pretty trick add ons to the factory programming. The future looks very bright indeed for mx5 owners

As far as your comment regarding our dyno, it's up to you, but I will post the results somewhere. I hope the exhaust does well as I said, because it really does look nice, and the market could use a second lower price catted unit.
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

dynotronics1 wrote:Funny thing is, with the very few logs you sent us when working on your car, that was not the case. I still have copies of your files and logs if you would like to see them to refresh you memory

As far as tuning your car, I think it came down to the fact you were unhappy you had to deal with us thru flyin miata, and that we would not sell to you direct due to our contract with them. I think I have those emails also here somewhere if you like. Tomato/ tomato

Brian, I don't wanna get in a pissing match with you, not my intention. Point was to tell our customers that if they have an issue, contact us direct, and we will be more than happy to fix it. If I have to hop on a plane to get the issue solved and make one of my customers happy, that's what we will do. However if I don't know about it, I can't fix it.

There are several picks for tuning now days, so we have had to up our game a bit. Mike at M-E is very good at what he does, I have nothing but respect for him. He has been very good at making us stay on the ball. The result of this is that what you get today for tuning is eons beyond what was available two years ago. Both M-E and Dynotronics have remote tuning as a standard, and we are both look towards the future with pretty trick add ons to the factory programming. The future looks very bright indeed for mx5 owners

As far as your comment regarding our dyno, it's up to you, but I will post the results somewhere. I hope the exhaust does well as I said, because it really does look nice, and the market could use a second lower price catted unit.
There were numerous versions of the tune and it depends which datalog you look at...but that all misses the point.

And for the record I was actually quite pleased to deal direct with you on the tune instead of having to pass everything through FM...which just added delay in the beginning. And Bill was quite gracious in allowing us to offer the tune to our customers...and we did put it on the website briefly until the tune in our car started falling apart. Bill was buying brake kit brackets from us, we were buying their very trick aluminum top mounts to offer here (we had good history buying from each other). You were willing to work direct with me on trying to fix the issues, which I did much appreciate, so we quickly left FM out of the loop and worked direct for many weeks just to try and make the process more streamlined. I was calling and emailing you instead of Bill because it was easier. When progress was SLOW to non-existent we even bought a second ECU so we would always have one for you to work on while we had another in the car. I too can dig up the data and the emails but I see no potential good for you in my dragging all that up and it still misses the point...

The point is, the bottom line is, that car became worse and worse over many weeks with your tune...and you seemed unable to fix the tune. Notice I did not say 'unwilling,' you proved with Sandor you were willing to work forever on it. But at some point, results are what matter and you can't expect folks to wait months to years for a tune to work. We went to the MotoEast tune and it was fixed in just a few hours over just a few days. Now I just need to keep an eye on spark plug gap over time and the car runs great year after year. Given that experience on our own car, we made the logical choice to switch to offering the MotoEast tune to our customers.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
AZ Sun Lover

Post by AZ Sun Lover »

Brian wrote:
dynotronics1 wrote:Funny thing is, with the very few logs you sent us when working on your car, that was not the case. I still have copies of your files and logs if you would like to see them to refresh you memory

There were numerous versions of the tune and it depends which datalog you look at...but that all misses the point.

And for the record I was actually quite pleased to deal direct with you on the tune instead of having to pass everything through FM...which just added delay in the beginning. And Bill was quite gracious in allowing us to offer the tune to our customers...and we did put it on the website briefly until the tune in our car started falling apart. Bill was buying brake kit brackets from us, we were buying their very trick aluminum top mounts to offer here (we had good history buying from each other). You were willing to work direct with me on trying to fix the issues, which I did much appreciate, so we quickly left FM out of the loop and worked direct for many weeks just to try and make the process more streamlined. I was calling and emailing you instead of Bill because it was easier. When progress was SLOW to non-existent we even bought a second ECU so we would always have one for you to work on while we had another in the car. I too can dig up the data and the emails but I see no potential good for you in my dragging all that up and it still misses the point...

The point is, the bottom line is, that car became worse and worse over many weeks with your tune...and you seemed unable to fix the tune. Notice I did not say 'unwilling,' you proved with Sandor you were willing to work forever on it. But at some point, results are what matter and you can't expect folks to wait months to years for a tune to work. We went to the MotoEast tune and it was fixed in just a few hours over just a few days. Now I just need to keep an eye on spark plug gap over time and the car runs great year after year. Given that experience on our own car, we made the logical choice to switch to offering the MotoEast tune to our customers.

Sounds like someone got caught with their fingers are in the cookie jar. :roll:
slow_eddie

Post by slow_eddie »

Interesting discussion, seems something was odd with the tune. Mine was done twice, still didn't allow the OBD2 monitors to reset. Mike did his work, the CEL disappeared, the car runs better, and with a functioning cat, it acts better. Before the header was replaced, lots of popping when lifting the throttle, now that too is gone.
One thing is certain, the NC tune offered now is vastly different from two year ago.
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Yep...and Mike tells me the game is new again with the EcuTek in the mix. It has opened up more of the fueling and timing control to everyone. It is indeed good for everyone that the quality of calibration continues to evolve. I expect to see dyno results continue to improve for everyone.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
catshark

Post by catshark »

Hi Brian,

Are you planning on eventually selling the EcuTek ProECU? When I oder the new street header I would like to order everything at once to save on shipping to Canada.

Thanks
Bryan
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Yes, planning to have it here.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com