NC1: search for comfort on bad roads

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
Brian
Site Admin

Re: NC1: search for comfort on bad roads

Post by Brian »

It is a good plan to make ride more comfortable, the drop from 17 to 16 inch wheels and tires in particular helps a lot, go as light as you can get on the wheels and it will make even more difference (lighter the better, 13 pounds per wheel for 16 inch is a good goal). I don't know what FCM charges for rebuild but given that you already own that equipment that could be a best choice for reasonable cost refresh of your setup, asking FCM for emphasis on ride quality.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
monty11ez

Post by monty11ez »

I have an '08 PRHT with FCM coilovers with 400/336 spring rates and ripple reducer. I would probably recommend a rebuild/revalve since you already have the initial setup. I went from stock suspension to BC Racing coilovers with 10k/7k springs, to 10k/9k springs, and finally to my FCM setup. I feel like FCM have learned a lot in the few years since your setup was built as mine rides very well. I highly recommend the ripple reducer. I've considered going down in spring rate, to please my girlfriend, but I would need bigger sway bars for the track.
matthew-m

Post by matthew-m »

The 16" wheels and 195/55 tires made quite a difference - much less noise and vibration! I can hear the bass notes from my stereo! There was a minor reduction in grip, either that or it was a major reduction and I never used the capability of the max performance tires I had previously... I am completely happy with the amount of grip available from the Firestone Indy 500 tires and they were 75% the price I last paid for 17" tires!

Suspension is next and I'll report the results, hopefully next month.
Matthew Metoyer
2010 Grey MX-5 GT, Manual, Sport Package, Street Single w/Baffle, FCM Coilovers - "GT" setup with KBO & Ripple Reducer, 16x8 wheels, Budget Big Brakes, Goodwin Underbody Braces, Cravenspeed Shift Knob
matthew-m

Post by matthew-m »

Well I finally got around to updating the suspension. Before I had Shaikh at FCM rebuild the shocks and install his new KBO (kerb blow off) and ripple reducer options, I bought the Goodwin underbody braces. That was quite a change by itself! The car felt like new, with much less vibration of the interior panels. This is a very worthwhile upgrade!

On to the suspension - Shaikh has definitely learned a lot since he initially built my coilovers five years ago. He mentioned to me that he had reduced the shock pressure and changed the rebound and compression settings based on my comments. The result is perfect (for me) - I have the cake and I'm eating it! The ride is supple and controlled; bumps no longer upset the car's path in corners; and my head no longer contacts the roof! Old concrete freeways are no longer painful!

I was so surprised by the changes that I had to compare the ride to some new factory examples. I test drove a BMW 2 Series and i3 (surprisingly fun electric car by the way), plus the Mazda 6. My Miata is much better! I wonder why BMW's are so popular - numb brake & steering feel; harsh ride; too many electronic nannies.

In any case, I can now highly recommend FCM coilovers if you want the best compromise between comfort and handling. Make sure you know exactly what you want before contacting Shaikh because he is highly likely to deliver what you ask for! Thanks everyone for your helpful advice.
Matthew Metoyer
2010 Grey MX-5 GT, Manual, Sport Package, Street Single w/Baffle, FCM Coilovers - "GT" setup with KBO & Ripple Reducer, 16x8 wheels, Budget Big Brakes, Goodwin Underbody Braces, Cravenspeed Shift Knob