Rim choice for stock NA

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
nomad26

Rim choice for stock NA

Post by nomad26 »

Hi not sure if this is the right place for this question.
I would like to put a set of 949 6 UL on my wife's 1994 stock NA with an automatic transmission.
Should I stick with 15X7.5 rim ?
Or should I not even mess with the stock set up because of power and balance ?
I have this car pretty much rebuilt to new conditions except for frame rails and butterfly brace and new KYB shocks its a sweet little ride.
If the answer is I should leave the stock wheels on it I am ok with doing that .
Just wanted to give the car a beefier look without effecting performance.
Thanks
Brian
Site Admin

Re: Rim choice for stock NA

Post by Brian »

It all depends on how much performance you want. Stock alloy wheels just 6 inches wide for 1994 (and 5.5 for the year before). Lots of folks change to 15x8, spreading the tire and giving the sidewalls more support gives MUCH more performance from the tire but the tradeoff is ride comfort. So, what's the goal of considering the wheels? Is it looks, performance, other factors? And how much performance do you want?

Assuming you have the stock 14x6 wheels those are nice and light but tire selection is not great now for the 14 inch wheels and performance and tire choice would be improved with 15 inch. Nonetheless, if the wife only cares about comfort then stay with those 14 inch wheels. If the wife is not racing and doesn't care much about ultimate performance but you want the 15 inch look and a little more performance then I think 15x7.5 is still a bit wider than you need and I would look to our 15x6.5 choices and perhaps 15x7. Lots of good light strong choices in those sizes like our Konig Heliums, Advanti Storms, and that will still be a big jump in performance but still ride good.

For example, below are Advanti Storms in Hyper Silver color and 15x7.

And below are our classic Konig Heliums, 15x6.5

Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
nomad26

Post by nomad26 »

Thats some good information. Maybe we will wait for the 7.5 6UL when it comes out. I think she would be mad at me if I made the ride quality harsh she loves the car now . I am glade I took the time to ask the question.
nomad26

Post by nomad26 »

I forgot to mention she likes the look of the 6UL and I also liked that rim because of the offset and the simplicity putting it right on with no fender roll.
Do the other two rims you mention fit on the car with no fender roll ?
I will show those to her to she if she likes them.
Thanks Brain
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Yes, lots of plug and play choices...including those Heliums with 40mm offset. The Advanti is a 35mm offset, plug and play with 195/50 tire on NA, using 205/50/15 would need 1.2 negative camber to be plug and play.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com