Help me with my suspension upgrade for my 99 miata

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
kickboxinbanena

Help me with my suspension upgrade for my 99 miata

Post by kickboxinbanena »

This is my first post, and I am wondering which springs I should buy for my mx5. Here's more detail, I have sport bilstein shocks I replaced the ones in the front because the front right shock seal went bad and it was riding rough. I am looking toward replacing the rear two shocks now that I the money for the rest of this project with sport bilsteins as well. While I'm messing with the shocks I am looking toward replacing all the springs as well, but I am not sure which ones to buy. I don't want to be riding the bumpstops if that helps anyone in suggesting springs for my car. the car has about 150000 miles on it so I figure that I should replace some of the other suspension components that probably need replacement as well. I am also looking toward purchasing some sway bars as well but I am not sure if it is mandatory to change the endlinks as well. Which sway bars should I purchase. I am looking toward purchasing the front and rear. I've seen racing beat sways that people recommend but I am looking I want to see if anyone has had experience with other sway bars.
Brian
Site Admin

Re: Help me with my suspension upgrade for my 99 miata

Post by Brian »

On sways, I do suggest looking to our Racing Beat choices. The endlinks are not required for a street car, but with your mileage inspection should be done of the old factory links and they should be upgraded if worn/suspect.

On the springs, look to our TEIN and Racing Beat choices, both relatively mild on lowering (about an inch).
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
kickboxinbanena

Post by kickboxinbanena »

Thanks for the response Brian. I've stalked the forum for different answers. Im not sure what the spring compression of my stock springs but will this stiffene up the car more I ocassionaly drive in the canyons. Will it be stiffer I'm just wondering. It won't be a big deal but I would like to know what to expect if I install these.. Also is it ideal to change the bumpstops if I'm going to put in this work?
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Yes, you want a fresh set of bumpstops. Yes, all the aftermarket springs are stiffer, though those Racing Beat and TEIN choices are barely stiffer than stock, mild compared to most choices. Every choice is a tradeoff, you get a faster car with these springs in the turns, but it will be just a bit stiffer. If you go with the KONI and one of these springs consider our FCM stops, perhaps even the FCM 'Comfort' set to keep as much comfort as possible with the new setup.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com