PROJECT ND: Parts Development, Testing, Measurements, DYNO

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
Brian
Site Admin

Re: PROJECT ND: Parts Development, Testing, Measurements, DY

Post by Brian »

We blew up plenty of NC transmissions with track use and boost...lost count of how many I blew up. If you search it at Miata.net you will find the 5 speeds from the NC were particularly weak under such load, plenty of folks have blown up multiple units. Guys running Continental Tire series in the NC often had a dozen dead NC five speed transmissions, the 6 speeds were better. We destroyed both the NC 5 speeds...and the later stronger 6 speeds. I would say the ND transmission is a lot more delicate than NC 6 speed, but not much more so than NC 5 speed. It was on the NC that we first used air scoops to cool the transmissions to help them live longer under the abuse. Hope to solve our issues here with just another variation of what worked on the NC transmissions.

We just ran our ND trans HARD for three days of track use, an air scoop to help handle the extra heat loads, and it came home working great. :D
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
DanielS172

Post by DanielS172 »

Interesting... Good thing I have the 6 speed for my NC. Many track days on it and it's still buttery smooth :D

What about diff temps? Did any of the other generations have diff temp issues? Or am I just misreading this this and there are in fact no diff temp issues for the ND? I can't tell if the possible solutions you're talking about are for trans or diff temps, or both.
2014 Club | OEM hardtop | GWR HH mid, FM muffler | ZetaCRD | Wilwood LBBK | Blackbird Fabworx GT3 roll bar | TRMotorsports FF10s
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

I blew NC diffs too, it's all a question of how much horsepower and how hard you run it. We have prototype air scoops on both our ND trans...and the ND Diff. We have been collecting data for both. When we get home we can read the temp data on the diff, but at Mazfest the diff air scoop was proving so effective that the diff was under 200 F so we were less worried about the diff for Laguna three day event than the transmission.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
NathanD277

Post by NathanD277 »

You’re running the LRR 3rd and 4th gears in this trans, correct?
2017 Meteor Gray Club
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

NathanD277 wrote:You’re running the LRR 3rd and 4th gears in this trans, correct?
Yes, and our box is version 3 from Mazda (my wife's RF has version 4 if memory serves me).
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
NathanD277

Post by NathanD277 »

When you said standard everything, were you running the CARB tune and OEM intake/exhaust?
2017 Meteor Gray Club
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

As you know the car already had longtube header and exhaust...that didn't change.

We did abandon temporarily the plans to go beyond the kit specs with intake, high flow head, E85. As explained in the prior pages all that went on...and then came off because we didn't have time for the custom tune work before Laguna. So, it went to Laguna with stock intake, Edelbrock's tune, standard pulley, stock head, and gas in the tank...not E85. We will get it on our dyno hopefully this week but with standard kit pretty much matching what is on my wife's RF....my expectation is that our dyno results will be pretty close to what my wife's RF got, 198hp on her car as shown in the RF thread. And if might actually do less than the RF for peak hp, Maxmidpipe with big 5 inch 200 CPI cat on her car for that last test, 400 CPI cat with the longtube on mine. Will see...but the point is, all the extra goodies that I dreamed of having on the car for Laguna like the much higher flowing head and tune for E85 didn't make the trip.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
JohnG933

Post by JohnG933 »

Any opinion on how the colder plugs worked?
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Colder plugs gaped down to 25 helped. We had them in the car Friday with some misses with high heat load that comes from fast laps and high ambient temps with oil getting beyond 250 F, gaped down from 30 to 25 for Saturday and that cured our random miss. Pretty much standard with any boosted car to go cooler on plugs and gap tighter, particularly for track use. I doubt a street user would notice the difference, my wife's RF is stock gap and no miss issues but it doesn't get raced, even pulling up the El Cajon grade on the way home in the fast lane and 90F with the A/C blasting it was perfect on stock plug with stock gap.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

First SCCA Autocross Win for the new Edelbrock Supercharger Kit Today!

Autocross yesterday started with a lot of frustration, first run I drove it 'like a Miata', by which I mean high 2nd gear for typical SCCA San Diego event. Result after first runs for all competitors was dead last, two seconds out of contention against prior gen supercharged/turbo Miata competitors. Had to rethink my approach. Thought about our NEW torque curve and what we learned about driving it at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca, keeping it in the torque peak from 3000 to 6000 produced the best lap at Laguna, using rpms above 6000 was consistently slower because the torque curve is falling off. In other words, it pays to short shift, very similar to driving our Fiat 124 Turbo. On our west lot at Qualcomm Stadium that meant 3rd gear for second half of course on next run, felt very different...but it worked, instantly two seconds faster and that was good enough for the win. And then third run I went to third gear in the first half of the course and dropped another half second. Time Attack event in 3 weeks...lots of work to do!

Harsher conditions than our Laguna testing, 100 F at Qualcomm Stadium yesterday. And unlike track events where you get a cool down lap after running hard, autocross is full throttle and then dead stop to wait your next lap, not great for air flow cooling. Rocky added some door edge guard to clean up our nose surgery at Laguna, looks good though still going to try the Carbon Miata grille soon to see if we can get even more air through our coolers.

Ran Laguna without the aero bits including splitter and wing, which are back on the car for autocross and Time Attack coming soon. Roof will be added for the faster track events too, cleans up the air flow over the car.
Nose.jpg
Nose.jpg (32.56 KiB) Viewed 7452 times
Attachments
ND-SSM.jpg
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com