PROJECT ND: Parts Development, Testing, Measurements, DYNO

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
LateNights

Re: PROJECT ND: Parts Development, Testing, Measurements, DY

Post by LateNights »

Speaking of news - have you seen much of the Mazda3 Turbo, & is there any chance that engine is a candidate to swap into the ND chassis?
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

LateNights wrote:Speaking of news - have you seen much of the Mazda3 Turbo, & is there any chance that engine is a candidate to swap into the ND chassis?
No chance of that. You have likely seen that in NC we can rather easily swap 2.5 liter in place of native 2.0, but in that case it is actually same motor in a way that is not true once we get to Skyactiv motors where everything is unique by size and layout. To put that another way, putting 2.5 Skyactiv into ND would be no easier than V6 conversion, very unlike NC where the 2.5 is almost plug and play.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
LateNights

Post by LateNights »

Brian wrote:
LateNights wrote:Speaking of news - have you seen much of the Mazda3 Turbo, & is there any chance that engine is a candidate to swap into the ND chassis?
No chance of that. You have likely seen that in NC we can rather easily swap 2.5 liter in place of native 2.0, but in that case it is actually same motor in a way that is not true once we get to Skyactiv motors where everything is unique by size and layout. To put that another way, putting 2.5 Skyactiv into ND would be no easier than V6 conversion, very unlike NC where the 2.5 is almost plug and play.
Yeah that's exactly what I was hoping for - it's a pity Mazda doesn't seem aware of how popular that swap is, because I've heard positive things especially in regard to the SkyActiv engines, so I'm sure if they made a similar conversion possible for this generation it would please plenty of enthusiasts, and really don't most manufacturers actively seek ways to connect with their customers :?:
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Just a pic to show the flex joint we include in our ND midpipes.
Attachments
61-2660flex2.png
61-2660flex2.png (155.36 KiB) Viewed 9609 times
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
NathanD277

Post by NathanD277 »

Brian, is there any way I could buy the max mid pipe resonator section only? I have the long tube header and I want modify the max mid pipe piece to work with that combo to get my ground clearance back.
2017 Meteor Gray Club
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

NathanD277 wrote:Brian, is there any way I could buy the max mid pipe resonator section only? I have the long tube header and I want modify the max mid pipe piece to work with that combo to get my ground clearance back.

Sorry, don't have them individually to offer. But in our Max Midpipe by Magnaflow it is a standard size, not a custom like we do for the RoadsterSport version pictured above. Thus, you should be able to find very similar in the open market with 2.5 pipe all the way through.

I think this is the part number, MagnaFlow 10416 Resonator / Exhaust Muffler 2.5” SS

Muffler body diameter: 4 inch round
Muffler body length: 14 inch
Muffler overall length: 20 inch
Muffler inlet/outlet diameter: 2.5 inch ID
Attachments
Magresonator.jpg
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
NathanD277

Post by NathanD277 »

Thank you, sir.
2017 Meteor Gray Club
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

More Fun with CS SCCA Bumpstops. Tried a new rear setup and car didn't rotate well at all, so time for a change.
To date this has been my favorite setup, this is what we won the SCCA San Diego Match Tour on. It is simple: two of our hard stops with the smallest donuts trimmed off and entire combo shaved down under the length of stock one-piece stop, which you need to do to be CS legal.
HardHardStopA.jpg
HardHardStopA.jpg (63.73 KiB) Viewed 8633 times

Now trying a variation on that with another bit of the stop shaved off and using packers to get the same total length. In theory this should be just slightly more rate than before with otherwise similar characteristics. Practice day Saturday, hope to find it works.
Attachments
BumpstopFun.jpg
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Well, the good news is that the setup worked well enough that I got the win. If there is bad news, it's that my margin was near nothing, just .02 seconds from my buddy Scott. Always enjoy a close fight with Scott, but I know we are leaving a lot on the table here still. I can't say that I felt any real difference at all with the bumpstop update yesterday at practice, ended up going full soft on Karcepts front .095 bar to get the car to rotate and left it full soft for today. I want to go radically harder on the rear stops so we can have higher roll resistance for a faster responding car that turns a faster time. I don't expect to get a CS to beat well prepared STR cars, but would like to get closer to that level of responsiveness. Following the morning run group I was leading X class and CS and PAX, but only that CS win held when the day was over (I didn't see final PAX but I know more than one person jumped over me in the later group, and I ended up second place in X class).
Attachments
CSresults.jpg
FunCS.jpg
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Another day, another set of rear bumpstops to test in SCCA CS on KONI SPORT shocks!

Don't want to get too far into the details yet or identify the source, over 300 pound rate at half an inch of compression and ramping to over 1000 pounds of rate at just .7 inch compression. Shown here on stack of spacers to come just a hair under the height of stock so as to be clearly CS legal. Signed up for next practice day, will see how it goes.

First driving impression good, engagement is not rough or rude at all, which I sort of expected. Instead it catches the car on local 270 degree 'fun test' ramps with a progressive engagement. Still not quite as much rate as I want, will see how autocross test day goes.
Attachments
NewSTops.jpg
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com