PROJECT ND: Parts Development, Testing, Measurements, DYNO

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
NathanD277

Re: PROJECT ND: Parts Development, Testing, Measurements, DY

Post by NathanD277 »

I would like to see if you gain significant power with the stock tune by just bolting on some of your exhaust components. The only tests shown so far indicate that a mid pipe and muffler gives a healthy boost. I’d like to see if that’s the norm.
2017 Meteor Gray Club
rastap

Post by rastap »

Ohlins with the 7/4 springs.
LateNights

Post by LateNights »

My vote goes to the Sypder grill :lol:
(Jokes aside - it does wonders for the front-end)

Judging by your comments on the "new and improved smoothness™", it would seem the natural way forward for this car is the Ohlins / supercharger / best Goodwin exhaust combo - promote the feel of a high-end GT car by modifying the few weak points where Mazda catered to the masses - then perhaps spend time refining that package more completely by testing various options (braces & even bushings), so we end up with the best compromise of daily / weekend toy.

Basically, a test mule for "wife approved" mods on the soft top for those who prefer it over the RF...

(I'm assuming you still have an ND1 you can use as a proper track toy?)
Last edited by LateNights on Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Knocking off the ND side skirts with autocrossing cone contact is not fun...and it is avoidable.
ND2Mod1.jpg
Mod 1 for our new ND2, pair of self tap screws per side, under each side sill. Not real exciting, but it prevents the unwanted excitement of the side sills getting knocked off at first autocross. Rocky first did this in 2015 with our year 2016 ND1 after being one of the 'lucky' first ND autocrossing owners to discover that autocross and one cone can knock off the side sills, Mazda later caught on to the idea and spread the word. Worth doing. www.good-win-racing.com

YEARS LATER UPDATE....
Jump to a few years later and Mazda also now makes a clip (“Clip, N243-51-SJ3” ) that can be installed when rocker is off the car that is the new factory alternative to our use of a pair of self taping screws....but we still do it our way. I think this became standard with 30AE, they are not on my 2019 ND2 Miata. I have not tried to retrofit these to earlier cars, we still just add the screw.

Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Theanhdy

Post by Theanhdy »

Hi Brian,

I have the Karcepts FSB. Is the AVO turbo kit going to have clearance issues between the piping and the sway bar? Thanks
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

I don't think so, we ran big Progress front sway with the AVO kit.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Finally, break in mileage complete. Took a 24 hour road trip for wedding up in Redondo beach, stopped on the way back for celebration pic that break in mileage is finished and we can start the fun!
Attachments
19ND2.jpg
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Customer's 19 with our Grille, Progress RF Springs, Progress Sways, RoadsterSport Race Exhaust and more...
Attachments
19RF.jpg
Grille19.jpg
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
LateNights

Post by LateNights »

Not a knock on them by any stretch - but the RF always reminds me of the old Datsun 240z :D
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

ND2 play time. When I took off the ND2 stock muffler I noticed that it felt heavier. Mazda mentions they changed the design internally, I don't recall them admitting that the changes added weight....but 23 pounds now is up a few pounds over original ND OEM muffler!
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com