PROJECT ND: Parts Development, Testing, Measurements, DYNO

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
Ryan @ GWR

Re: PROJECT ND: Parts Development, Testing, Measurements, DY

Post by Ryan @ GWR »

Recap of racing our ND at Superlap Battle is up AT THIS LINK

Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

KOYO Radiator for ND test fit, perfect fit.

Big thickness difference, ready for boost!

Getting ready for new projects ahead!
Attachments
KOYOND2.jpg
koyoND.jpg
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Quick 24 hours of testing of original version of longtube header against revised version. No product is static here, we are constantly looking for improvements. Revised version of header has little changes that start in the first inch with one step bigger primary and continue through upgrades at every connection point and complete with upgraded resonator and upgraded final flange. Most of those upgrades are designed for better sound control, better guarantee of sealing against sound leaks, but the bump in starting primary size is designed to get a little brighter top end. What we did not expect is the bump in primary designed to help the top end also gave a bit more low end. The ND here belongs to Customer Jeff Cawthorne. Jeff reported that when his car first got original longtube and was tuned the results were very strong....but got weaker over time. We have heard similar from other customers and seen similar on our own ND, one thing we suspect is ECU is dumbing down the tune over time in the same manner that has been well documented in the magazines with the BRZ, see MotoIQ article at THIS LINK:

http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticles/ ... tions.aspx

Anyway, this test is with SuperQ muffler at the back, if working on peak hp today we would bump the tune back up to whatever the car can take for timing with current 91 octane in the tank (or run better octane fuel), and use one of our straight pipe design mufflers and all that would easily bump these results above 170HP in our experience. Not interested in any of that today because just testing and backing up our results done on our ND comparing original and revised longtube wherein we got 5 more hp with revised version over original version of longtube. With that goal in mind we changed just ONE THING, the header. Got lots of guys at Miata.net without the slightest clue how to properly test on ND, with a hundred variables between each of their tests they do not actually have 'results', they have junk science. In contrast, we made sure our other variables are held in place to the extent possible. What do I mean by that? We know the ND ECU is very smart, learns fast, changes code quick, literally adapts to EVERY new tank of fuel because it must react that fast for a 13 to 1 super high compression motor to survive in a world where every tank of 93 octane is actually different than your last tank of 93 octane because percentages of additives including alcohol can legally vary a lot from batch to batch. In fact, even if you datalog and do not see the ECU pull timing you can still get a wide variation in results on ND with just changes in fuel because this motor's efficiency is very tied to fuel used. Thus, we have found that the best ND tests are done on same tank of fuel and same weather conditions to the extent possible so that variables are kept to absolute minimum.

What you see here is two tightly grouped runs from Thursday last week at 7am We then swapped from original version to revised version with larger primary and tested again Friday morning at 7am, exact same temp in the dyno room both mornings, same clear skies, pressure, etc. Thus, to extent possible, just ONE THING CHANGED HERE. Results up about 5 hp at the top end, with no updates to tune and same tank of 91 octane for both tests, more restrictive muffler at the rear. Gains at bottom end actually even better.

His car then tested again with revised header and 400 CPI cat vs 200 CPI cat, and choice of cat made no difference on his car, same best peak number, and he didn't like louder sound with 200 CPI cat so he will be running the 400 CPI cat or an even bigger 200 CPI that I will be loaning him. As noted, more restrictive SuperQ at the back and he hopes that either bigger 200 CPI cat or 400 CPI cat will allow him to run our Race muffler again with local sound limits. I think he will end up with 400 CPI cat to meet his sound goals but he believes in continual testing, so do I. As always, testing never ends....and there will be more to come.
Attachments
cawthorne.jpg
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Customer asked me today about Shiv's claims of 176 hp posted at Miata.net and the constant dust up over there about trying to compare results. Having suffered myself with so much forum grief at Miata.net about massive range in customer results among our longtube owners it will likely not be me to jump into Shiv's threads and point out that all his customers in the real world seem to be limited to 150 to 158hp on same Dynojet brand of dyno that he is using. Nonetheless, odd to me that customers like Tommy Reynolds hammer on us over there while giving Shiv a free pass on his results despite fact that Shiv OWNS THE ONLY DYNO that is giving that 176 hp number. In contrast, we are not a Tuner, we do NOT own a Dyno, every result we post here is from an off site third part dyno where we deliver the car and stand back as a spectator. We do not run the dyno for any results posted here, we do not run the car on the dyno for any results posted here. In stark contrast, Shiv BOTH owns the dyno and runs the dyno... which is an obvious conflict of interest that makes his results entirely suspect even before we get to the fact that his customers seem to average 150 to 158hp on same brand of dyno.

Nonetheless, having said all that, I will add that there is this myth at Miata.net that Dynojet numbers can be compared from one Dynojet brand dyno location to another Dynojet location because 'all Dynojets read the same'. I recall hearing this myth back in the 90s...but first time I drove my first supercharged Miata from one Dynojet location to another Dynojet location the difference was 20hp between those two locations!! At that point the myth was busted for me. Mat of Orange Virus Tuning recently related a similar story in his posts at Miata.net of driving his ND from one Dynojet to another and his results were different by 10hp in the change from one dynojet location to another! Those who believe the myth are those who must not have done similar drives between several dynojet locations to learn the reality by first person experience. So, it is possible for me that Shiv's dynojet just reads a lot higher than most....and that means you cannot compare his results to anything. His baseline results are MUCH higher than from any other dyno, so indeed perhaps his dyno is just much less conservative than most. Likewise, from Mat's experience in getting 10 hp less on Emilio of 949 Racing's Dynojet as compared with Dynojet he visited the day before, I can similarly believe that Emilio's Dynojet reads a lot more conservatively. As always, a dyno is really just a tool for before/after testing on same car, making ONE change at time to figure out if it helps or hurts, and any attempts to compare to results of another car on another dyno introduces variables that are uncontrolled.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
ABQautoxer

Post by ABQautoxer »

I only made 162whp on Shiv's OFH which is why I dumped it for the LTH, which made 159whp but more torque. You get hammered for the results and then treatment following said results.

I do agree Shiv's dynojet must read higher or something because I don't know anyone over 169whp on his even with the benefit of the doubt on any other brand dyno or a dynojet.
2016 Club
NathanD277

Post by NathanD277 »

That's a nice bump in the 2000-3000RPM range. It cleaned up that bad torque dip very well.
2017 Meteor Gray Club
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

ABQautoxer wrote:I only made 162whp on Shiv's OFH which is why I dumped it for the LTH, which made 159whp but more torque. You get hammered for the results and then treatment follow said results.
Thanks for post, but what I do not understand is why Shiv gets a pass despite fact nobody getting his results and he actually owns and runs the ONLY dyno making 176 for his header? I do not have that same conflict of interest, we do not own or run any dyno we have used for any result we have posted. In fact, after some folks wanted our LTH tested on Dynojet, despite fact all local locations for that brand have gone out of business, I said okay.....will do, and we did. Also had some folks claim our car was somehow a unicorn and tests on dynojet should be on a different ND, and I again said okay, will do. So we installed original spec longtube on Orange Virus Mat's ND and he took it to Dynojet location in Santee, California and he got 177hp for 91 octane for original spec on his ND, which I bet with updated spec would be over 180hp. So I was not involved in even getting the car to that dyno or running it on that dyno, or tune, or anything other than supplying the part and that result was just 3hp off the 180hp we repeated on the Dyno Dynamics brand dyno which became the basis of what has been in the product description for every sale. So, though I know that is just two ND to date with results in that range, I was not involved in touching the dyno, or the tunes, or the car..... for either set of results.

What I know from some with both updated longtube and Shiv's header is that they can now beat the peaky hp of Shiv's header in addition to the much fatter torque curve everywhere. I hope to see some of those folks post those results soon. I will also add that Ron Bauer did 166hp peak hp using our SHORTY 4-2-1 on Dynojet (again compares well with our product description 168hp on DynoDynamics brand printout). And that result for shorty by Ron so far beats ANY results not coming from supplier of headers like us or Shiv. With that in mind, and customer satisfaction always a high priority, we will offer any owner of longtube the option to swap to our Shorty 4-2-1 and get a refund of the difference in cost if they want. Will Shiv give any customer any choices when they cannot reach 176hp on a Dynojet? I do not want folks to kid themselves, trade from long 4-2-1 to short 4-2-1 is a trade DOWN in total area under the curve, and I suggest area under the torque curve should be the priority for all since that is what actually gets the car down the road, but our shorty 4-2-1 setup is about half the price so I expect that tradeoff is going to be attractive for some because there are diminishing returns for each additional dollar spent to push that curve higher and higher and perhaps the shorty 4-2-1 is just the right sweet spot for many and best currently proven with results totally independent of any vendor....at least until we get some more results from owners of BOTH Shiv's header and our revised longtube which I know are in motion as I type this post.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
ABQautoxer

Post by ABQautoxer »

FWIW, Shiv borrows his dynos like you do. He does not own one. There is often a variance between dynojets especially depending on conditions so getting 5whp "extra" is doable in ideal conditions, so while I know I won't match his results like I didn't match your's, I always concede a healthy "realistic expectations gap" from vendor claim to what I get. Unfortunately so far no header has done that for me yet. Let's not speculate why yet, I have more dyno tuning coming up next week to see how the shorty compares to the OFH and LTH. I'd be overjoyed to have Ron's results.

But that doesn't change the fact that typically no one is making over 170whp on any header on a dynojet that isn't selling something.I don't think you or Shiv (or any other vendors) are liars, exagerraters, etc. See my reasons in the previous paragraph even before you factor in minor car and tuner variances.

I think the real world is we are in that ball park and you pick the header that suits your price point and power curve.
2016 Club
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

ABQautoxer wrote:FWIW, Shiv borrows his dynos like you do. He does not own one. There is often a variance between dynojets especially depending on conditions so getting 5whp "extra" is doable in ideal conditions, so while I know I won't match his results like I didn't match your's, I always concede a healthy "realistic expectations gap" from vendor claim to what I get. Unfortunately so far no header has done that for me yet. Let's not speculate why yet, I have more dyno tuning coming up next week to see how the shorty compares to the OFH and LTH. I'd be overjoyed to have Ron's results.

But that doesn't change the fact that typically no one is making over 170whp on any header on a dynojet that isn't selling something.I don't think you or Shiv (or any other vendors) are liars, exagerraters, etc. See my reasons in the previous paragraph even before you factor in minor car and tuner variances.

I think the real world is we are in that ball park and you pick the header that suits your price point and power curve.
Ah, thanks for helping me there, my mistake in thinking that is his dyno. Well stated...
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Our ND setting the top scratch times yesterday at last SCCA event of the year here on Ohlins and our Progress Sways. Easily within our sound limits yesterday. Sound limits here are 93 db at 50 ft and well below that here with Longtube Header setup, latest version of midpipe and resonator and 400 CPI cat, and SuperStreet muffler at the back.

Watch this ND go!

As one indicator of the Gs we are making now, watch the side to side flex you see in the back of the stock seat. :eek:

Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com