PROJECT ND: Parts Development, Testing, Measurements, DYNO

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
Chuck H

Re: ND Measurements Thread...

Post by Chuck H »

Thanks for the bellyshot pic! :)

Looks pretty interesting under there. Any chance you can get your calipers on the tailpipe after the cat so we know for sure what size piping they used? And even better would be if they let you take the heatshield off over the exhaust manifold and measure the exhaust primary diameter. That would answer a lot of hypothetical theories running around right now about why the engine is so torquey compared to the MZR.

Looks like some variant on your 6-piece brace kit would work very well with the new chassis as well.

And I'm sure it's just me, but for some reason, that muffler design bugs the crap out of me. :lol: That definitely has to go for something smaller and lighter (and louder, of course).
2019 Arctic White RF GT-S
SmartTop, coilovers
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Just for you Chuck!

I know you are into the math on exhaust pipe sizing, tell me what you think here. The sprung connection that was formerly on the NC header outlet and is now moved downstream to muffler inlet means even more folks get the challenge of dealing with that on install since now even a muffler change means working with that sprung connection.
Attachments
Pipe-size-ND.jpg
Pipe-size-ND.jpg (84.3 KiB) Viewed 31209 times
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
ronbauer

Post by ronbauer »

Can't tell you how jealous I am that not only have you got to see and sit in an ND, but have now been able to do all this playing!

My car is scheduled to be built on 6/29. I'm anxious with anticipation! Hopefully Emilio has wheels available shortly after.

Ron
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

My wife laughed at me last night after I came home and would not shut up and asked finally if I had fun on my 'little play date'

I laughed and replied that I did!
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Chuck H

Post by Chuck H »

Brian wrote:Just for you Chuck!

I know you are into the math on exhaust pipe sizing, tell me what you think here. The sprung connection that was formerly on the NC header outlet and is now moved downstream to muffler inlet means even more folks get the challenge of dealing with that on install since now even a muffler change means working with that sprung connection.
That's kind of an odd size. 2.1075" comes out to 53.5mm. I wasn't able to quickly find a source on-line for 53mm exhaust tubing, but there do seem to be a number of 52.5-53.5mm gaskets, flanges, etc., so it must not be too unusual a size for Japanese cars. Seems to be used on some Honda models as well.

That seems under-sized for the 2.0L model, as it just barely supports the factory hp rating. Assuming that it's 16 gauge tubing, it's going to be basically zero-restriction up to 161 hp, and gradually becomes more restrictive as power grows from there. I can all but guarantee that they make the jump to 60mm piping on the Cup cars, if they're going to have them tuned up closer to 200 hp.

You could probably get away with a nice 2-1/4" exhaust setup on this car, if keeping weight down is a priority, and still have a bit more tuning headroom than the factory exhaust. Of course, 2-1/2 would probably be easier, as there are more parts available, and you may even be able to re-use some of the components designed for the NC, like the mid-pipe resonator, and maybe even the Race and Street singles with slightly different piping on them.
SmartTop, coilovers
Chuck H

Post by Chuck H »

ronbauer wrote:Can't tell you how jealous I am that not only have you got to see and sit in an ND, but have now been able to do all this playing!

Ron
Just wanted to second this as well! :)

This is one of those times that I really wish I lived on the west coast instead of the east coast. I'd love to see the ND at your tech day later this month!

Keep the pictures coming if you get a chance to play again today! :wink:
SmartTop, coilovers
skeeler

Post by skeeler »

I'm definitely interested to see what parts Goodwin and the rest of the aftermarket come up with. In fact, I'm holding off on an ND purchase until there are parts for a competitive STR build.

Keep the photos coming, Brian.
2009, STR & DD. 1995, HPDE. 2004 MSM, sold. 2010 Mazda3, hers.
rastap

Post by rastap »

When are Ohlins coilovers going to be available?
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

rastap wrote:When are Ohlins coilovers going to be available?
As soon as we can....but best guess today is at least 6 months from ND landing here.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

ND Corner Weights!

STOCK ND Corner Weights....Pre-production Grand Touring trim with 6-speed manual

No Driver, estimated 6 gallons gas.
Attachments
ND-Corner-Weights.jpg
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com