PROJECT ND: Parts Development, Testing, Measurements, DYNO

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
morrisg

Re: ND Measurements Thread...

Post by morrisg »

Written on the metal, duh... That's 5 lbs less than my NC muffler. Gram strategy results in 20% lighter, but it looks like it could have been even lighter.
Chuck H

Post by Chuck H »

It's 7 lbs lighter than my NC muffler was, but mine was probably pretty loaded up with carbon after 20,000 miles.

Interesting to see all the spot welds on the top of the muffler case. It must be mostly empty with a bunch of baffles in there to cancel out the sound.

Still thinking an Enthuza single style muffler may be the way to go on the ND. Since the inlet is closer to the passenger side, there's not much room at all to angle a straight through muffler from there to the tailpipes. But if you went with muffler that has the in/out on the same end, along the lines of a Magnaflow 14210, it would definitely fit over on the driver side and could still work with dual tips if you want.

Another possibility might be a twin canister muffler that basically accomplishes the same thing. Have two small resonator-sized canisters in parallel so the exhaust bends over towards the drivers side, goes through one canister, does a U-turn, goes through the other canister, and then over to the tips on the passenger side. I can't find a decent picture of what I'm trying to describe anywhere, but it's something along the lines of this one:
Just imagine it having a second 90 deg bend towards the rear after the 2nd canister, rather than another 180 and the long extension to the tip.
2019 Arctic White RF GT-S
SmartTop, coilovers
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Hi Chuck

Lots of good thinking there. I have also looked at what all the Japanese tuners have done so far since they had a few months head start in Japan. In the end we are going our own direction and ours won't look or sound anything like the choices from Japan, and our early testing has me convinced our result will be better.

We are already deep into several prototypes and having a lot of fun testing this week. Working first on ND version of the Q, with emphasis on flow, sound quality, and killing drone. The factory sprung connection at the rear presents some challenges but have that figured out now. I am real excited about how it is going so far. I would post some great pics...except don't want to give competitors with a habit of 'phone it in' production much to copy. Will post the pics closer to production. So all I can say now is that we have been up every day at 3am and working long days on it...and it is going to be awesome!
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Pat

Post by Pat »

A number of years ago I had a Civic that I had fitted a Mugen Twin Loop exhaust. Great sound and greatly reduced the back pressure. Single canister, two passes through of the exhaust pipe.

rastap

Post by rastap »

Brian wrote:Hi Chuck

So all I can say now is that we have been up every day at 3am and working long days on it...and it is going to be awesome!
Can't wait! Getting ready to pull the trigger on a Club with everything. Need to decide on the color. Leaning towards Ceramic Metallic.
ronbauer

Post by ronbauer »

Brian,

Have you weighed your car yet. Curious what the production car ended up at.

Ron
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Good question, will get it on the scales.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

First ND Dynos Today!

WE had a prototype RoadsterSport muffler on our ND so we started with runs of it and then changed to stock muffler to see how the ND responds to having more flow. The good news is that ND does respond to having more flow, this is the most conservative of our exhaust prototypes we are currently working on and still got gains from start to finish, including peak torque gains moving up from 136 to 139 FtLbs and peak hp up from 142 with stock muffler to 145 with the highflow muffler. Best torque gain is 5+ Ftlbs torque in the midrange right where most folks are driving. Lots more testing to come. I suspect we will see more with just more miles here as motor continues to break in and loosen up.

I will add that the car is more temp sensitive with the stock muffler back pressure, this was by far the best stock run shown here, it was more consistent with the higher flowing muffler.
Attachments
ND-Exhaust Dyno-s.jpg
ND-Exhaust Dyno-s.jpg (82.58 KiB) Viewed 13673 times
ND-Dyno-Time!.jpg
ND-Exhaust Dyno.jpg
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

OUR FIRST ND DYNO...vs NC.

GOOD NEWS HERE!

Precisely what Mazda has been telling us.....yes 5hp less peak at the wheels than our 2012 was stock but MUCH STRONGER torque spread.

Well done Mazda...the better torque is awesome!

And notice ND is stronger for hp from idle until about 6000rpms!
Attachments
ND-vs-NC.jpg
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
ronbauer

Post by ronbauer »

WOW (that's not actually what came out of my mouth when I saw that!)

Great job indeed and confirms the feel I had. Can't wait for mine to get here!

Ron