PROJECT ND: Parts Development, Testing, Measurements, DYNO

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
LateNights

Re: PROJECT ND: Parts Development, Testing, Measurements, DY

Post by LateNights »

Speaking of OEM - are those the limited edition wheels on the customers RF or are they aftermarket - they look huge!
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

LateNights wrote:Speaking of OEM - are those the limited edition wheels on the customers RF or are they aftermarket - they look huge!
Just the angle of the pic, 17x7.

Customer's ND2 RF CLUB with our Progress RF Springs. I got to drive it around local freeways and on ramps/off ramps. What I learned is that Bilsteins on ND2 are not as overdamped as ND1 bilsteins, but still overdamped. Driving back to back with my own Club ND2 the impression is that the ND Bilsteins match the Progress Springs better than stock springs. I told a few folks that our RoadsterSport 300/200 rate springs are likely too much for the ND2 Bilsteins and now I am not so sure, will need to drive it to know. In any case, ND2 Bilsteins easily handle our mild RF Progress Springs.

Also on this ND2 is our RoadsterSport Race muffler, even more fun on ND2 than ND1 thanks to new higher redline without needing a tune to go 7500 on the Tach. Customer had us install our Carbon Miata grille too.
Attachments
RFProgress.jpg
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Fun Stuff 2019 RF vs 2019 ST Club. Apparently trying to lower the weight difference between soft top and RF versions the RF gets a drilled version of the X brace. By making swiss cheese of the X brace the weight savings is a fraction of a pound, seems hardly worth it. It's otherwise the same part, can even see the etched part number for the standard version without holes and they etched a new part number for version with holes after they cut out much of where the original part number is located. That's some serious gram strategy!
Attachments
1118181113a_HDR.jpg
1118181111_HDR.jpg
1118181115_HDR.jpg
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Replaced stock muffler on our ND2 with our RoadsterSport SuperStreet. Time for some new recordings at 7500 rpms! :D

Attachments
1118181108g_HDR~3.jpg
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Going to start our ND2 racing in SCCA CS Autocross NEXT WEEKEND. In preparation we added our Front Progress Sway Bar and a set of Rivals 225/45/17. Changed to a well loved example of our Race Muffler, drove home and laughed all the way, so much fun!

Normally I would grab a set of our Advanti Racing Storm 17x7 but out of stock for another 60 days or so on those. Customer sold us his wheels when he went to 17x8 6UL Tungsten wheels, so we used the BBS wheels for now as they are lighter than standard 17x7 (though still heavier that the Advanti choice).
Attachments
ND2-CS.jpg
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
GregW070

Post by GregW070 »

Brian,

I see you used 225/45 size tires on the 17x7 rims. Any rubbing in the wheel well with this combination? Also, I don't think I've seen anything about you lowering this car yet so is it still at stock ride height? Would this tire size work on a 17x7 wheel if the car was lowered?

I'd like to do some autocross in my Fiat next year but want to stay in C street. So I have not lowered the car and I am sticking with 7 inch wheels but wondering if I can go up to the 225/45 tire size without rubbing the wheel wells.

Thanks.

Greg
2013 MX5 Club PRHT Crystal Pearl White, 2017 MX5 RF LE Machine Gray Metallic, 2018 124 Spider Abarth Rossa
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

GregW070 wrote:Brian,

I see you used 225/45 size tires on the 17x7 rims. Any rubbing in the wheel well with this combination? Also, I don't think I've seen anything about you lowering this car yet so is it still at stock ride height? Would this tire size work on a 17x7 wheel if the car was lowered?

I'd like to do some autocross in my Fiat next year but want to stay in C street. So I have not lowered the car and I am sticking with 7 inch wheels but wondering if I can go up to the 225/45 tire size without rubbing the wheel wells.

Thanks.

Greg
Stuck with stock springs for CS, we can change the shocks, likely get KONI in the car tomorrow. I wanted to test drive the setup on Bilsteins first, with my first shot at correct rear stops to balance the front bar and then will add the KONI to the equation. No rubbing noticed yet, but I have not checked the fender liner for telltale scrape marks. Note we don't normally like 225mm wide tire on 17x7, it's something we do for SCCA CS class because again the rules limit us to stock size wheel width of 17x7. That tire would be MUCH faster on 17x8, feels sloppy on 17x7 but that's the rules we are playing with to start the season in that class. Lots of folks excited to see how ND2 does in CS, so we are going to have some fun finding out.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Having a lot of fun with the ND2 around town. Motor starting to loosen up a bit, can really FEEL that the rotating bits are lighter in this new ND2 version motor, it is certainly more happy and smooth during fast rev matching high rpm play. In other words, SUPER looking forward to Autocross this weekend.

KONI Sport shocks got installed TODAY! It was my hope to dance the local roads hard with the bumpstops in the car yesterday and test the starting balance with front sway added and stiff rear stops... but rain crushed that plan. So, KONI now in with our first shot at getting the combo of bumpstops right, alignment Friday, start dancing in SCCA Practice Saturday, Race on Sunday! Hopefully we get the balance close enough that Saturday we can explore the limits within the balance adjustment we get from the KONI and be ready for Sunday. Will have two of our drivers in the car both days for more feedback on setup, etc.
Attachments
Koni-CS.jpg
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Okay, back from first test drive with CS setup. Slid it around some of my usual freeway 270 degree freeway ramps around here. Go in light and push is terminal, don't like that! Toss it in hard and balance is not bad, still more push than I like but not bad. The difference seems to be whether or not it sits on that rear stop. Starting setup for the record is:

Progress Front Sway set to middle
Stock front stops
30 PSI all around
KONI soft all around
Rear 58mm Medium bumpstop.

May try the hard 58mm rear stop before we get to the weekend autocross to see if we can take down the amount of push without having to use shock settings. Will start with cut clip over hard bushing or packer to go rear to full 3.25 or so inches of bumpstop that the 19 can run because it has taller rear stops than prior ND, and see how well that cures the initial push on light turn-ins.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Stock wheels and tires.....compared to stock wheels....with CS tires (Rivals 225/45).

Going to harder rear stops, full equal to stock height rear stops. Will this be too much rear stop? Only one way to find out.
Attachments
CS-SCCA-Prep.jpg
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com