PROJECT ND: Parts Development, Testing, Measurements, DYNO

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
Brian
Site Admin

Re: PROJECT ND: Parts Development, Testing, Measurements, DY

Post by Brian »

Autocross SSM Post Event Download.

First Competition Day on New spring rates...and Hoosier 245/40/17. Though we had previously run Rivals in same listed size the reality is the Hoosiers are far bigger than the Rivals and previous attempts to fit them on the car resulted in massive rub, some fender lip cutting of the tire, and even partially popping off the front nose. Now with more spring rate, 11kg, 6kg, and taller bump tops to help limit roll and travel the Hoosiers worked today. We are running quarter inch higher than previously, about 13.125 all around in effort to make the Hoosiers fit safe. Bottom line on new Hoosiers....today they fit and worked great, car stuck.

New 11kg/6kg rates on our Ohlins worked great....balance with Progress sways was great, car throttle rotated on demand and rarely surprised me, yet turn-in response was much faster than prior soft 9/5 combo. Have run as much as 13/9 on this car with these Ohlins but our local lots looked bombed out with serious pot holes and some compromise and compliance in rates is needed here.
TurboSSM.jpg
Now the part that did NOT work. Yesterday for practice stopped at our usual station that has 100 octane at the pump and put in my estimated fill for practice yesterday and competition today...and car ran on the high boost setting successfully yesterday...11.5 PSI. This morning it was my judgement that we needed just ONE more gallon to be sure we could complete our runs and drive out of the event. Arrived at same station that has 100 octane at the pump to sadly find "Sorry, Out of Order" on the 100 octane buttons! So, decided to blend in just ONE gallon of 91 octane thinking we had enough headroom in the high boost tune for that to work. That analysis proved dead wrong....lost both my first runs to detonation and ECU rolling out all timing. The ECU took such swift and aggressive action in the first run that I honestly thought I had busted the car or spun/overheated clutch in and briefly pulled off the course until power came back... and got a well earned DNF. Power returned and I alternated on and off it to test through finish knowing the run was already wasted. Thinking I had merely spun/overheated the clutch with dump start of the first run I let the car cool a lot....but second run same thing again and I finally understood the issue was serious detonation and cruised into the finish again well off the pace of what the car could do.

Shut off the boost controller and ran stock AVO kit 7 psi for third run and drove conservative to get a clean time to take the class lead, did slightly better on fourth run to cement the class win today by .8 seconds. Disappointed only because the car honestly was telling me by feel that it had more than a full second of additional speed potential and I know we left a lot of potential on the table. I missed top time of day for the morning by a few tenths and that's a bit frustrating too knowing the car had a lot more in it if everything had worked right. Nonetheless, it's another win for the AVO turbo..plus the new spring setup and the new tire setup and that's enough for one day....will look again for that Top Time of Day next event with pure 100 octane in the tank.

Post note...after first run DNF I could hear something with driver's rear tire but could not see anything while at the event....got home and monster bolt stuck in the tire. Thus, the DNF cost me more than time. :cry:
Attachments
0218180858c_HDR.jpg
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Got email about engine mounts, we do have a set of steel mounts holding the turbo motor in the car, because the stock aluminum mounts have been known to crack and our friends at Long Road Racing explained that bad things happen when they do (motor hits the ground). There are some interesting inserts to make the stock aluminum mount act like a stiffer mount, but my fear is that transfer of more stress into the aluminum mount likely causes a faster rate of failure in hard use.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Wow, the BIG price increase from Ohlins did sneak up on us....March 15th new price will be $300 more on Ohlins that we use on ALL our fastest toys here.

I am sorry I have not been ringing the bell for weeks on this, our MAP on this goes up the 15th and Ohlins is very strict about it....so these are the last days before $300 increase in the best coilovers a Fiat 124 owner can buy. Ohlins is factory standard equipment on hypercars from Pagani, Koenigsegg, etc. Ohlins has been the choice of champions for decades, they never sponsor because the best don't need to, so even Champs like Juan Montoya had to buy his sets.

A little back history. I loved Ohlins from my days racing motorcycles. When I bought my first Miata I called Ohlins asking them to make an Ohlins setup for Miata, got a lot of laughs in reply. I explained that we had MANY Miata race customers who were retired Pro Racers, guys who already understood Ohlins and would put them on a Miata if the application was available. From the days the Miata first came to market and became an instant weekend racer top pick, guys have retired to the Miata from Nascar, MotoGP, Indy Lights, Formula Atlantic, IMSA, and on and on. Old Racers never die...they just buy a Miata and keep having fun on the weekends at SCCA and NASA events! I finally convinced Ohlins to give it a shot, that was many years ago and now they love the Miata plaform and take this application very seriously. And now the Miata platform lives under the Fiat 124 too. Anybody local to our San Diego location wanting a fast yet smooth ride call me and jump in the seat of our Fiat 124 with Ohlins! Got a few local freeway 'test' ramps we can do at three times the posted 'suggested' speed that will impress you!
Attachments
OhlinsE2.jpg
OhlinsE2.jpg (108.87 KiB) Viewed 6393 times
OhlinsE.jpg
OhlinsE.jpg (52.41 KiB) Viewed 6394 times
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Track day for Turbo ND this weekend, our Ryan Passey did a quick bracket to hold all our gauges as we continue to do testing with the Turbo setup, new oil cooler setup, etc. It's a simple panel that wraps under the plastic on the tunnel lifts the gauges up so the are not much in the way of the passenger seat. Won't be in the car forever but as we continue to go beyond what AVO ever intended with the kit it is good to have a eye on the critical.
Attachments
TurboGauge.jpg
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
QuyV267

Post by QuyV267 »

ooh! That is nice! Good luck and have fun this weekend, Brian. I have an event myself with the new LSD installed. Thanks, again!

Regarding your AFR gauge, did you tapped into the existing sensor, or did you add an additional wideband sensor?
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

The Chuckwalla weekend was mixed. Moments of fun, moments of frustration. The oil still 'eventually' gets too hot even with monster oil cooler we have in the car. Once the oil gets much above 230 F the very smart ECU starts to pull timing and the power gets softer and softer....and eventually limp home mode. I am starting to wonder if we can make a really fast boosted ND that uses the stock grille, real speed may require big grille, perhaps put our Carbon Miata grille back on soon. I admire more and more the work that Fiat did with the front of this car to create the Fiat 124 version with turbo motor, the Fiat has DOUBLE the grille area for good reason. Not sure what we try next, E85 would help a lot....

The good news is the aero is well balanced, we need more spring rate roll resistance but otherwise the chassis is ready to rock.
Attachments
CVR4.jpg
CVR2.jpg
cv1.jpg
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
ryanholt

Post by ryanholt »

Brian, wondering why you took off the Carbon grill?
Freescopesdad

Post by Freescopesdad »

Brian, I took your advice about adding an oil cooler to my ND for track days. Sorry you had the Mishimoto on 2-week backorder, but I found it on Amazon last week. At Thunderhill Wednesday, oil temps pretty much maxed out at 218-220, spiked once or twice to 225 in traffic but came back down with clean air. Ambient temperature topped out at 86 degrees, not the hottest we will experience up in NorCal, but a pretty good indication that this kit is effective. I also have the Carbon Miata grille which flows a little better than the stock grille.

Thanks for the advice to add this cooler for those of us who track regularly... :D
Ron Petrich
http://www.sacramentoareamiata.org
2016 ND GT 6MT|ZII/NT01|Ohlins|Progress|OFT|HDDDM4
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

ryanholt wrote:Brian, wondering why you took off the Carbon grill?

Trying to make oil cooling setup that works with boost and stock grille, but going back to the Carbon grille may just be required. Ron's numbers above are about perfect, but no boost on that car. Add boost and we get beyond 230 too quick and ECU yanks timing, power gets soft, etc.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Freescopesdad

Post by Freescopesdad »

correct - no boost planned at this time. just having too much darn fun as it is... :)
Ron Petrich
http://www.sacramentoareamiata.org
2016 ND GT 6MT|ZII/NT01|Ohlins|Progress|OFT|HDDDM4