PROJECT ND: Parts Development, Testing, Measurements, DYNO

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.

Re: PROJECT ND: Parts Development, Testing, Measurements, DY

Postby Brian » Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:50 am

ryanholt wrote:Brian, any movement on the development of these "scoops"?

Brian wrote:Transmission cooling air scoop...for track users!

Tested with our turbo ND.

Coming to the site soon. Similar for diff also coming to site soon.


I think production trans scoops have arrived and are waiting pics and time for somebody to get them on the site, likely later next week.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Brian
Site Admin
 
Posts: 8525
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:44 am
Location: San Diego CA

Re: PROJECT ND: Parts Development, Testing, Measurements, DY

Postby Brian » Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:35 am

ryanholt wrote:Brian, any movement on the development of these "scoops"?

Brian wrote:Transmission cooling air scoop...for track users!

Tested with our turbo ND.

Coming to the site soon. Similar for diff also coming to site soon.



On the site now at THIS LINK.
Attachments
Scoop.jpg
Scoop.jpg (18.11 KiB)
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Brian
Site Admin
 
Posts: 8525
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:44 am
Location: San Diego CA

Re: PROJECT ND: Parts Development, Testing, Measurements, DY

Postby Brian » Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:43 pm

Side by Side ND1 V4 and ND2 transmissions. Casting appears the same in all regards....but there is at least one difference.

Appears the front cover is different – housing that the throw out bearing rides on – specifically the fork pivot. Pin is the same but housing changes the depth due to the dual mass flywheel on the 2019 models. Swap that with pre-2019 type to install into ND1.
Attachments
t4.jpeg
t3.jpeg
T2.jpeg
T1.jpeg
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Brian
Site Admin
 
Posts: 8525
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:44 am
Location: San Diego CA

Re: PROJECT ND: Parts Development, Testing, Measurements, DY

Postby sjd » Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:19 am

So with the transmission cases (and the gearsets) still being the same (except for the differences you pointed out) does that mean that Mazda feels the stronger engine block of the 2019 is enough to stop the failures? What versions of the transmission have you broken? Have there been failures of the version 4? If the issue is the lack of stiffness in the 2016-18 engine block would that account for repeat failures even on the updated gearsets?

I'm ready to make the jump to a 2019 but since I am an avid autocrosser the transmission concern is worrying. Of course since I'm waiting for next Spring here in the East, I do have some time to observe what happens when people start autocrossing/tracking the 2019.
2010 Competition Yellow MX-5.
sjd
 
Posts: 50
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:02 am

Re: PROJECT ND: Parts Development, Testing, Measurements, DY

Postby Brian » Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:04 am

sjd wrote:So with the transmission cases (and the gearsets) still being the same (except for the differences you pointed out) does that mean that Mazda feels the stronger engine block of the 2019 is enough to stop the failures? What versions of the transmission have you broken? Have there been failures of the version 4? If the issue is the lack of stiffness in the 2016-18 engine block would that account for repeat failures even on the updated gearsets?

I'm ready to make the jump to a 2019 but since I am an avid autocrosser the transmission concern is worrying. Of course since I'm waiting for next Spring here in the East, I do have some time to observe what happens when people start autocrossing/tracking the 2019.


See the thread at Miata.net for input from many more users. I broke a version 1 and 3. I don't know if anyone has busted a version 4 yet though lots of discussion of that in the thread at Miata.net. Note the torque difference between ND1 and ND2 motors is close to zero, and it's torque that matters when it comes to breaking stuff, so cannot say ND2 motor 'upgrades' are relevant to the discussion on breaking transmissions (and then add in that with boost I was running as much as double stock torque and it cannot be said that my busting a version 3 with boost tells you much about autocrossing CS or STR class power on a version 4). My pet theory is twist is the issue, have not seen an ND2 on the lift yet so don't know precisely what as been improved on that.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Brian
Site Admin
 
Posts: 8525
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:44 am
Location: San Diego CA

Re: PROJECT ND: Parts Development, Testing, Measurements, DY

Postby LateNights » Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:53 am

Would you ever consider adapting the NC / Fiat trans to the ND, or is it not as simple as one might hope?

(Who'd have thought the Fiat to be the more reliable twin :mrgreen: )
LateNights
 
Posts: 35
Joined: Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:21 am
Location: Brisbane, Australia

Re: PROJECT ND: Parts Development, Testing, Measurements, DY

Postby NathanD277 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:10 am

Brian, do you know the cut off dates for the different versions of the transmission and what things were improved? Trying to find info over on that Miata.net thread is almost impossible. I just traded in my 2016 for a leftover new 2017 Club with a 3/27/17 build date. Curious what version of the transmission it has.
2017 Meteor Gray Club
NathanD277
 
Posts: 71
Joined: Tue May 24, 2016 10:32 am

Re: PROJECT ND: Parts Development, Testing, Measurements, DY

Postby Brian » Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:30 am

LateNights wrote:Would you ever consider adapting the NC / Fiat trans to the ND, or is it not as simple as one might hope?

(Who'd have thought the Fiat to be the more reliable twin :mrgreen: )



Not simple, different bell housing, so much custom that you might as well put in BMW trans that can handle 500 hp (like the K Miata guys do).
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Brian
Site Admin
 
Posts: 8525
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:44 am
Location: San Diego CA

Re: PROJECT ND: Parts Development, Testing, Measurements, DY

Postby Brian » Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:32 am

NathanD277 wrote:Brian, do you know the cut off dates for the different versions of the transmission and what things were improved? Trying to find info over on that Miata.net thread is almost impossible. I just traded in my 2016 for a leftover new 2017 Club with a 3/27/17 build date. Curious what version of the transmission it has.



Version 3: INSTALLED FROM April 3rd, 2017 VEHICLE PRODUCTION LINE.
SECOND GEAR, M601-17-251A, used from April 3rd, 2017 Production.
COUNTERSHAFT GEAR (A.K.A CLUSTER GEAR), M601-17-301D, used from April 3rd, 2017.


Version 4: INSTALLED FROM November 1st, 2017 VEHICLE PRODUCTION LINE.
CLUTCH HUB SET 1ST AND 2ND GEAR, M601-17-260A, used from November 1st, 2017.
SLEEVE CLUTCH HUB SET 1ST AND 2ND GEAR, M601-17-262A, used from November 1st 2017
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Brian
Site Admin
 
Posts: 8525
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:44 am
Location: San Diego CA

Re: PROJECT ND: Parts Development, Testing, Measurements, DY

Postby NathanD277 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:02 am

I can’t believe I missed getting a V3 by a week! Well, V2 is better than V1, which is what my 2016 had.
2017 Meteor Gray Club
NathanD277
 
Posts: 71
Joined: Tue May 24, 2016 10:32 am

PreviousNext

Return to Mazda Miata and Fiat 124

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests