PROJECT ND: Parts Development, Testing, Measurements, DYNO

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
LateNights

Re: PROJECT ND: Parts Development, Testing, Measurements, DY

Post by LateNights »

Brian wrote:You know your pic is not a real pic right? Some of the other renditions look suspiciously like the 949 Car, and very much Orange instead of Gold.
Nope - literally every site I found was running a variation of the Gold :evil:

That last pic definitely is Orange - love the funky checker board graphic too - and it looks fast just standing still with that stance!

Why oh why didn't they give it the Spyder grill from the factory though!?!
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

LateNights wrote:
Brian wrote:You know your pic is not a real pic right? Some of the other renditions look suspiciously like the 949 Car, and very much Orange instead of Gold.
Nope - literally every site I found was running a variation of the Gold :evil:

That last pic definitely is Orange - love the funky checker board graphic too - and it looks fast just standing still with that stance!

Why oh why didn't they give it the Spyder grill from the factory though!?!

I must admit that I too really like that checker flag graphic. Factory cannot offer spyder grille, I begged them not to put us out of biz. :wink:
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
LateNights

Post by LateNights »

Brian wrote: I must admit that I too really like that checker flag graphic. Factory cannot offer spyder grille, I begged them not to put us out of biz. :wink:
:lol:
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

UPDATE: Been a busy week since first event in our 2019, left the autocross last weekend at lunch, was not aware of how our Top Pax position held up past the morning run groups. So, a week later checked the results now posted online and discovered our position at top of PAX held for the event. Our 2019 finished number 1 of 101 cars last weekend on PAX. That's not bad for first time out in this project!
Attachments
Pax2019.jpg
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Jim Z

Post by Jim Z »

Brian,
I traded my ND1 for an ND2 on 12/30/18. After a week, I installed the GWR RS Super Street that had been on my ND1. My initial impression is that there is more sound volume with the ND2 and a different tone, and I've noted some droning between 2K and 3K rpm (45 to 55 mph) at steady throttle on a level road that I didn't have with the ND1. Recalling your observation that the ND2 muffler was heavier, perhaps that is because there was more sound deadening added to offset the increased noise coming from the better breathing motor. IMO, the Super Street was tuned perfectly for the ND1, but not quite a perfect match for the ND2. You mentioned in your video that the resonator was tuned to eliminate the bad frequencies of the ND1 exhaust. Do you anticipate performing a review of the performance of the resonator on the ND2?
As mentioned by others, I'd also like to see if dyno results on the Race and SS are consistent with the claimed HP and TQ increases from the ND1 application.

Regards,

Jim Z
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

From dyno info floating around from other sources I expect the muffler results are better than we got on ND1, again thanks to all that better breathing upstream. I have not rushed to the dyno because our car still has relatively low mileage, and OVT Mat was our local tuner and quit the Mazda applications.

Indeed MORE sound coming out of the motor and down the pipes. It's not that the helmholtz is less effective, it still does over 40db of reduction of that 120 to 130hz range, but a lot more volume is coming down the pipes because all the holes through the motor and out of the motor and down through the bigger primaries of the header are so much BIGGER. So indeed Mazda sought to compensate for all that with more density in the ND2 muffler, which is why it is several pounds heavier. Nonetheless, I am driving our ND2 with the RACE muffler daily, love it and still find it rather calm in freeway cruise and full fun on autocross days....AND I am still coming well under the strict sound limits of our local SCCA events (so far the measurement was 2db higher than I ever got before).

The only relatively easy thing to do is what Mazda did, add more sound absorbing mass. In that Super Street single that would be another half inch to inch of fiberglass section and that could be done in the current JIG. Will indeed look at that for the next batch.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Love it or hate it? Had a few customers talk with us on this RoadsterSport SuperStreet TwinTip talk with us about coating it black so they don't see the can in the cutout. I like the can in the cutout, original idea was that we shaped the can to fill the cutout with the polished panel and the curve of the can was even designed to neatly mirror the upper side of the cutout to the bottom, to 'complete or close the circle'. But I admit the blacked out can works with the black trim along the bottom. Thoughts?
Attachments
BlackGR034.jpg
GR-034Black.jpg
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
NathanD277

Post by NathanD277 »

I like both. I guess that doesn’t really help you in making this decision.
2017 Meteor Gray Club
BryanJ119

Post by BryanJ119 »

Kind of like it blacked out. More attention given to the tips.
18 MX-5 Ceramic White
Mods: sound tube delete, GWR SS, Dakota Digital Muti-function gauge, CravenSpeed gauge mount & oil psi adapter
Instagram: @bryan78jordan
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Another Edelbrock Supercharger Install on customer car. Close up pics of electric water pump and heat exchanger that it feeds.
Attachments
IntercoolerND2.jpg
IntercoolerND.jpg
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com