NC Mufflers

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
NaregM677

NC Mufflers

Post by NaregM677 »

I'm looking for the right muffler for my car.
The car: 2013 Miata Club (which, I'm assuming from Brian's description and pictures, means I have the Appearance Package)
My goal: 1) More power! 2) Maybe some weight loss. 3) Slightly louder sound (I want to hear it better when I have my helmet on).

After reading the descriptions, I'm still a bit lost. Without considering price or which tip looks better, which muffler is best at adding power and a bit of volume, without adding weight or a ridiculous drone on the freeways?

Thanks guys.
2013 Miata Club "Shadowfax"
"And the road becomes my bride..."
Brian
Site Admin

Re: NC Mufflers

Post by Brian »

Depends on how much you want to hear it.

If you want it subtle, just deeper and more throaty when you put your foot into it, then RoadsterSport SuperQ.

If you want more rumble all the time, RoadsterSport II Duals.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
NaregM677

Post by NaregM677 »

Other then the noise, those two mufflers are the same in power and weight?
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

The SuperQ did a hair better in our dyno testing but essentially same results for both on power, SuperQ is about equal to stock muffler on weight while RoadsterSport II is a few pounds lighter.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Farther

Post by Farther »

Unless you are stuck on "duels" then don't rule out the single tip mufflers. I have the Street Single on my 2012 SE PRHT and like it a lot. I was concerned that the noise would be too loud but that is not the case with me. I don't think there was any gain in horsepower but weight savings is significant if that is important to you.
Chuck H

Post by Chuck H »

If you're looking for significant power gains, look into a header as well as a muffler. The OEM muffler is a restriction, but you're not going to see huge power gains from replacing just the muffler. Just a few hp. Replace the header as well and you'll be looking at more significant gains, especially if you can get a tune done as well.

With any of the Roadstersport mufflers, though, the car is going to feel quicker, because you'll be winding it out all the time just to listen to the exhaust sing! All of the different models sound really good and unleash the sports car sound that the OEM muffler was hiding! :D
2019 Arctic White RF GT-S
SmartTop, coilovers
NaregM677

Post by NaregM677 »

I'm actually about to buy both the exhaust manifold (street) and SuperQ right now!
JesseS012

Post by JesseS012 »

I love my Roadster Sport "Q" (AP Version) and Midpipe. Great note. No drone. Wife didn't even know I made the switch. Gonna get a matching header eventually...
2013 Brilliant Black Cub Ed.
Roadster Sport "Q" with Matching Midpipe - Eibach Sways - Ohlins Coilovers
President, Peak to Peak Miata Club
http://www.peaktopeakmiata.org
Chuck H

Post by Chuck H »

JesseS012 wrote:I love my Roadster Sport "Q" (AP Version) and Midpipe. Great note. No drone. Wife didn't even know I made the switch. Gonna get a matching header eventually...
She's gonna know after you get the header. It won't make the exhaust drone, but it definitely ups the volume noticeably. In a good way, but headers aren't really a stealth upgrade that you can sneak past the spouse. :D
2019 Arctic White RF GT-S
SmartTop, coilovers
NaregM677

Post by NaregM677 »

Chuck H wrote:
JesseS012 wrote:She's gonna know after you get the header. It won't make the exhaust drone, but it definitely ups the volume noticeably. In a good way, but headers aren't really a stealth upgrade that you can sneak past the spouse. :D
Sooooooooo...I bought the header and the exhaust, but I know the volume is going to jump up since I'm going to remove the midpipe catalytic. She's definitely going to be louder at all rev ranges.