NC Triple-Pass Radiator

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
Ryan @ GWR

NC Triple-Pass Radiator

Post by Ryan @ GWR »

Our new triple pass radiators for the NC have arrived today! Pre-orders are shipping today and these are now in stock and shipping immediately. Link to our site!

This new radiator packs more cooling capacity into a direct-fit radiator than ever before.

If you race or track your NC, have a supercharger/turbocharger/2.5 swap, or live somewhere where it gets hot, this radiator is your "cheap" insurance for your motor. This project was born when Brian lost a 2.5L motor in the 2006 project car due to overheating. The piston rings warped and the result was over 20 hp lost in a day. While that motor was being rebuilt we began work immediately on this new radiator. Around that same time, we kept pushing the horsepower output on our 2007 supercharged car with built 2.0L motor and crested the 300 whp mark with that car, so the first prototype triple pass radiator went in that car and confirmed that this radiator allow us to run laps all day long in the Southern California heat while staying cool.
NC_TriplePass_7small.jpg
The "why"

For the hardcore guys, there have been "racing" radiator options, but most of them are custom hand-made units which means HIGH cost with varying fit and finish and they often require lots of customization to get them to fit, don't work with other stock components, etc.

We've been selling CSF radiators for years, they have become our top choice due to quality, fit and finish, and performance; their B-tube core technology is the most efficient in the market. So naturally, we teamed up with CSF to design a radiator with a new level of performance but without the caveats that used to come with.

The "How"

The new triple-pass cross flow configuration makes the coolant pass from side to side three times before it exits the radiator instead of once, giving it far more time in the radiator to shed heat. With some creative inlet design, we were able to achieve this while still maintaining direct fit with the factory radiator hoses and fans.
NC_TriplePass_6small.jpg
A little on CSF's core technology...

Without getting too deep into things, CSF uses a proprietary tube and fin design that is wind-tunnel tested to be the most efficient in the industry. The super high-efficiency design means that core thickness does not need to be massive like the performance radiators of yesterday. That's a win-win because thick radiator cores hinder air speed through the radiator which hurts cooling ability, they weigh more, and they are harder to fit in the car.
The relatively thin 32mm core in these new units keeps airspeed at a maximum so the radiator can outperform a radiator at twice its thickness and yet tips the scales as a featherweight.

More of the good stuff:
- Direct-fit with factory hoses, fans, and no relocation of other components
- Radiator cap and aluminum drain plug are included
- Brackets are all CNC cut and TIG welded
- Quality control is top-tier with a rigorous set of tests before they leave the factory
Dubcity

Re: NC Triple-Pass Radiator

Post by Dubcity »

Is the OEM water pump reliability and efficiency compromised in anyway with this rad?
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Dubcity wrote:Is the OEM water pump reliability and efficiency compromised in anyway with this rad?
No issues, thanks in part of flow efficiency of the B tube design. In happy use in all our higher power NC...and since the date we started selling these many of the fastest high power NC built in this country are now using this triple pass rad.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
JohnS067

Post by JohnS067 »

I received my order before the holidays of this new triple-pass radiator, along with the racing oil cooler and really cool aluminum expansion tank. I've unpacked everything to make sure everything arrived and in good shape, and it did!

Have you guys put together a set of installation instructions for the radiator and for the oil cooler? I have the shop manual for my 08 MX-5, and in absence of anything else will follow the shop manual instructions for installing the radiator.

Thanks!
Ryan @ GWR

Post by Ryan @ GWR »

Hi John,

No instructions for those, they're pretty straight forward and radiator and coolant tank are the same as factory units. If you have any questions give us a call.
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

As with any Miata radiator update, the only real risk is not getting enough clearance to A/C condenser, make sure it does not rub your new radiator!
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
JohnS067

Post by JohnS067 »

Thanks for the advice. I'll give Ryan a call on Monday. I'm also installing the racing oil cooler and all hoses at the same time that I have the car apart.