how much camber?

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
DavidM938

Re: how much camber?

Post by DavidM938 »

Brian, I wanted to do a follow-up post after my most recent round of tweaks on the suspension. Installed the front FCM lowering bump stops only (did not realize the rears in that kit were the same as the ones I already had previously installed in the Sport kit). Had the car realigned, reset the Progress sway bars to middle hole in front and "soft" in the rear and was able to get 2.4 neg camber up front, 2.2 in rear with a tiny bit of toe out up front (will try that since this is rarely driven on highway except to races). Initially, the car finally sat level side to side with the front at 12 1/2 (!) and the rears 13 1/2. I was worried about that 1" difference front to rear, thought it was a bit strange, but given the issues I've had with the bushings, I thought I was just going to have to live with it. I even posted these heights on this forum to the person asking about Koni/Progress heights in late January. I have since done some spirited drives on some of Tennessee's famous winding country roads, and the car somehow finally "settled". It's now 12 1/2 front (both sides) and 12 3/4 rear both sides! Looks and drives so much better, I'm having to relearn the handling all over again. I'm delighted with the improvement in ride with the proper bump stops, but puzzled why the car seemed to fight me for so many months? March 5th is our first test n tune autocross here, so my question is how to best use a tuning session. Would sway bar adjustments be the first step? Since I'm using the same RE 71Rs and know what pressures are in the ballpark, I want to do the biggest variables first, I would think? Should I plan on going stiffer on the rear bar as my first adjustment? Thanks David Nashville
Brian
Site Admin

Re: how much camber?

Post by Brian »

For first event I would leave sways alone and see if you can get the balance you want within the range of adjustment of the KONI shocks and perhaps slight variation in tire pressures. If using everything you have with the KONI and tire pressures you have terminal overteer....or understeer....then change the sway settings and start again.

Note your own idea of what is 'balanced' will likely evolve as you drive it more and get more comfortable. Most drivers go from wanting a little 'safe' understeer to wanting more and more tail out behavior as they get more and more comfortable with the car at the limit.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com