New Good-Win Racing Project ND RF!

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
JohnA580

Re: New Good-Win Racing Project ND RF!

Post by JohnA580 »

I'm in far north Dallas.

Track Dog Racing in Garland is doing my install (about 3 weeks) including front and rear tower braces. Street setup.

I have an ND Laumch Edition.
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Welcome, our friends at Track Dog Racing are a great choice for install.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Getting a lot of questions about CARB tune versus Mat's OVT. Mat's tune makes more power, because the focus of his tune is max power and it is customized car by car based on logs from your car. The CARB tune is done with focus on emissions, so it gives up some peak HP. But, some might still prefer the CARB tune, it's done, it's a simple plug and play canned tune, warranty, no need to do logs back and forth, and it's conservative enough that it will just plug and play and be good to go. My wife drives her RF daily with the CARB setup, loves it. Lots more info on that install in thread on my wife's RF at this link.

The followup question I have had on the CARB tune from several in non-CARB states like Texas is: if I get CARB tune version of kit can I add headers later after the warranty expires and will that addition of header need a retune? I have tried the CARB tune with stock header as it is intended and with aftermarket header and aftermarket midpipe and it still works fine. You would get even more HP result from Mat's customized tunes, logging and back and forth with Mat will get you a higher HP result, but CARB tune AFRs stay safe even if you swap the header.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
BillT613

Post by BillT613 »

Brian, What kind of HP does the CARB download make VS Matt's download?
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

BillT613 wrote:Brian, What kind of HP does the CARB download make VS Matt's download?
Cannot tell you precisely because the CARB tune we first tested on the dyno was not finished. That prototype CARB tune was far too rich for best power, well under 200 at the wheels, and Mat easily beat it and got our otherwise stock RF to 204 hp at the wheels (and later over 215 with mild header). Have logged the final CARB tune in this RF and AFRs not so overly rich now, which means the gap has closed somewhat. My best guess is that Mat's tune would still get you at least an extra 10 hp. Thus, my estimate today is that CARB tune on totally stock car (stock muffler, stock midpipe, stock header, stock intake) comes in a few hairs under the 200 at the wheels mark on Edelbrock's Mustang dyno (FM's BBR turbo will be about the same once they drop the silly stuff about using 'uncorrected' dyno numbers). But, where the big hours were invested in the CARB tune is light throttle and transitional response...such that it feels more like the factory put it there, and the low end and mid range punch is easily sharper than the turbo kits I have driven so far. My wife's RF is a blast to drive, on the freeway far too easy to pass somebody with a fun flick of the gas pedal and look down to discover I am too near the 100mph mark...it's fast! Mat got a much later start, worked mostly on peak numbers to start, so I expect his tune will continue to evolve on the transitional smoothness.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Road TRIP....SUPERCHARGED!

While I was racing our other supercharged ND around AutoClub Speedway in Fontana, my wife was packing the Supercharged RF to the limit. After my morning on the track I rushed home and jumped into the RF and hit the road eastbound on Highway 8 through the high deserts east of San Diego. Our RF is STOCK cooling system, stock radiator, how would it handle being loaded to the limit and driving with my heavy foot through temps approaching 100 F along the Mexican border and up steep 6 percent grades?

The RF was our trusty and very speedy GT for the entire journey, swiftly covering over 300 miles round trip up. Going UP and DOWN the steep 6 percent grade east on the way toward El Centro was the most fun with the Supercharged RF, the tarmac is smooth and curving through the narrow parts of the canyon grade and the supercharger pushed us up the grade with effortless speed. A Mercedes AMG stayed with us for a while on the journey back up the grade on the way home before finally giving up the chase as I pushed the pace faster and faster.... love this setup! We got over 40mpg on the way to our accommodations with friends in Imperial Lakes with wind at our backs pushing us, 34mpg on the way home with me pushing close to triple digit speeds up the grade to try and get the coolant temp to show some distress with the hot conditions and with my very aggressive driving. Ambient temps 95F as we started to climb the grade, slowly falling to 79 F near the summit, coolant temps were impressively steady.

Thus, we remain confident that STREET drivers can use the new Edelbrock Supercharger kit with stock cooling systems. Our Race customers, track or autocross, are a different matter....see our ND thread with our Supercharged Racing ND.
Attachments
RoadtripRF.jpg
RF2.jpg
RF2.jpg (89.53 KiB) Viewed 8848 times
RT1.png
RT1.png (418.9 KiB) Viewed 8848 times
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

CARB KITS NOW IN STOCK!
Attachments
CARBkits.jpg
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

More numbers. Initial CARB tune was far too rich, only 177 on our dyno but AFRs well under 10, while the car was still on the dyno same day Mat cleaned that all the way up to 204 hp in about an hour of work. Thereafter Edelbrock leaned the CARB tune to nice AFR range of 11 but we have not redone the dyno run with stock header on our dyno (on the Mustang dyno at Edelbrock we were right at 190 HP with stock header and leaner CARB tune). With that same leaner CARB tune and our shorty header we were 197.8 on our Dyno. As noted above OVT Mat's tune for stock header was 204 HP on our dyno, and with this RoadsterSport shorty header Mat's result pushed to 214/217 range...so custom tune adds roughly 10 hp, the header adds roughly 10hp. My wife didn't like Mat's tune, not finished enough in part throttle smoothness, she loves the CARB tune and doesn't miss the comparatively small hp difference. Thus, the 'wife approved' choice currently is the CARB tune...and this is what it looks like with header. Mat is still working on his tune, Edelbrock had over 100 hours in their work so the comparison is not fair at this time and I expect this may all shift in time.

In sum, got some dealers saying this kit added 70 hp.....which seems high based on our experience so far on two different dynos. Our results are right about 50 hp, give or take depending on CARB tune or custom, stock or aftermarket header, etc. Stock post break-in hp on our original two ND was about 140 hp on our dyno, but this car tested stronger in stock form, 148 was best totally stock (best of any stock ND we tested). Thus, we are up an even 50 right now....and it's awesome. Any more and my wife might be intimidated by the change, with the current results we are often fighting for who gets to keys for the fun of driving it.
Attachments
Carb-Header.jpg
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Freescopesdad

Post by Freescopesdad »

Sorry Brian, I find it hard to believe that your wife is intimidated by anything... 8)
Ron Petrich
http://www.sacramentoareamiata.org
2016 ND GT 6MT|ZII/NT01|Ohlins|Progress|OFT|HDDDM4
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Supercharged Road Trip! On our way to Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca Weekend! Join us in the Good-Win Racing garage for free coffee and fast rides around the track! Our Supercharged RF on display at the event, our Supercharged Blue ND giving rides around the track, and an Edelbrock representative in our garage to answer all your questions!
Attachments
1004171356.jpg
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com