Question about weight reduction

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
beardedstealth

Question about weight reduction

Post by beardedstealth »

I have been dreaming about reducing unsprung weight from my ND. Here is what I have figured so far:

1) Change wheels to 17x8 6UL which should save about 3 pounds per corner.
2) Superlight front rotors saves 4.4 pounds per front corner
3) Superlight rear wave rotors save 2.5 pounds per rear corner
4) Ultralight front 4 piston calipers saves 4.7 pounds per front corner
5) Ultralight rear 4 piston calipers saves 4 pounds per rear corner

So that would be 12.1 pounds weight savings per front corner and 9.5 pounds weight savings per rear corner.

Since that is a very expensive proposition, and this is my first Miata, I am wondering how much change I will notice from this weight decrease? Is it truly going to be noticeable? And if so, noticeable everywhere like on the street? Or is really more of something that you'd notice on the track??

I know this is subject stuff, but I am just looking for some feedback so I don't spend a ton of money on a theory only to find that it isn't very noticeable on the street.

Thanks in advance.
Brian
Site Admin

Re: Question about weight reduction

Post by Brian »

On the street what you notice with that sort of weight reduction is better ride quality.

Handling is better too, but you do not really 'feel' that part of gains in street use.

We just changed my wife's project RF to our light 4 piston front calipers and two-piece rotors and ride quality noticeably improved over rough pavement roads because it is easier for the shocks to control the weight getting bounced up and down over the rough sections.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
beardedstealth

Re: Question about weight reduction

Post by beardedstealth »

Thanks Brian, I appreciate the feedback.