Koni Sport Shock vs Bilstein

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
beardedstealth

Koni Sport Shock vs Bilstein

Post by beardedstealth »

Have a few hundred miles on my new RoadsterSport ND Springs and am absolutely in love. Best recommendation yet by Good-win-racing.

Now I am wondering if they would be significantly better with the Koni Sport Shocks versus my stock Bilstein shocks? I know the spring description says that they would be ideally used with the Koni shock, but I am curious if you think it is a big enough difference to warrant the extra cost?

On a side note, is the $164 for the Koni Sport Shock for the pair? Maybe stupid question but I didn't see any indication on the site and just wanted to double check.

Thanks in advance.
Brian
Site Admin

Re: Koni Sport Shock vs Bilstein

Post by Brian »

Honestly, if you are in love with the combo of our RoadsterSport Springs and the Bilstein shocks then I see no reason to change. Adding the KONI would lower you another half inch, give you more control over balance front to rear, and ride. But if you love the balance and ride with the combo already in the car, then I am not sure much upside for you in the expense of the change and I would drive it and have a blast...and perhaps come back to this question when the Bilsteins wear out (about 40,000 miles).

The koni shocks are priced per shock.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Guyndclub

Post by Guyndclub »

Hello Brian,

2 questions for you re this post:

1) You talked about ride control with the Koni vs The Bilstein (as they are adjustable).
If I set the Koni say 'full soft' with the Roadster springs, will I have a harsher / softer ride vs the club Bilstein with the same Roadster springs?

2) How would you compare the Koni / Roadster combo ride say 'full soft' vs the stock club suspension (club springs / Bilstein)?

Thanks... Guy
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Full soft on KONI is softer than non-adjustable Bilstein with the same springs. Stock Bilsteins are overdamped for the very soft stock springs, the result of using springs like our RoadsterSport that are better matched to the damping means the ride doesn't feel much different (and actually much better over bigger undulations in the surface than floppy stock setup).
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com