Best Handling Upgrade, ND Club

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
GlenL531

Best Handling Upgrade, ND Club

Post by GlenL531 »

I am enjoying my 2017 ND but the body roll is getting a little annoying. What is the best way to address this? Stiffer bars or springs? I find the ride great but the darn body roll.
Brian
Site Admin

Re: Best Handling Upgrade, ND Club

Post by Brian »

Since you are already going to do something...how do you feel about change of height along with the lean fix?

Sway bars are the most easy fix, but heights stay the same and no improvement to squat/dive.

Several other choices, from our mild Progress springs to our higher rate RoadsterSport springs.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
GlenL531

Post by GlenL531 »

My only issue is that I have an 800m gravel laneway, I am a little concerned about ride height. Stock it is more than fine so I can drop it a little. Are springs the best first step?
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Okay, my suggestion is pick one of these choices:

A. RoadsterSport Sways. Cheap and effective, easy install too.

B. RoadsterSport Springs. This would be my choice, far better handling, just half inch height drop on your stock shocks...but more work to install.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
avera01

Post by avera01 »

I am in a similar situation and looking for an upgrade pathway for an automatic GT to reduce body roll, perhaps lower the car a little bit (1/2" as an inch my be too much for a 55+ old guy/wife to get in/out of the car) while maintaining a comfortable ride. This is my weekend driving car, no track or racing, but some mountain driving is in the future. Looking to instill more confidence in the way the car handles from a street driving perspective.

From what I have read, coilovers with sways is the best improvement but costly, maybe a harsher ride and perhaps an overkill for my needs.

So if I wanted an up gradable path should I change:

1) to Progress sways and use the stock shocks
2) Just the Progress sways and save for the Onlines
3) Roadster springs and Bilstein B8s then Progress sways
4) Progress sways then Roadsters springs/Bilstein B8s

Many options and combinations, hard to figure out the effect of the choices and what impact it has to the car's handling characteristics from its stock configuration.

Andrew
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Most of the spring choices lower MORE than half an inch, only our RoadsterSport springs would be just half an inch on your stock shocks. I love those springs, but from what you wrote it sounds like they might be overkill and sways are likely your best and certainly the most easy answer.

Nonetheless, if you decide you want some lowering...and only about half an inch...then look at those RoadsterSport springs but understand they really need a good shock, either stock 'Club' package bilsteins or the B8. The Ohlins 'Road and Track' seems like overkill for you or anyone not going to track or autocross. If you do consider coilovers as a pure street user, note there are some choices that are focused on comfort with that height control...like our RSR and Cusco coilovers.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
avera01

Post by avera01 »

Hi Brian,

So if I understand correctly, with the Koni and Roadstersport springs, the total drop (~ 1") is about the same as the Progress spring with stock (non-club) shocks, yet I would get a much better overall handling (less body roll) and the option of easily tuning the damping. Seems like the best of both worlds.

Would this setup also make the car more prone to oversteer? I have read that the car comes from the factory (non-club) with a slight understeer. Not that I am oppose to oversteer, but I have little experience in that regards and hopefully will get some training in the near future.

Thanks,

Andrew
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Hi Andrew

We balance the rates for the more aggressive driver with that spring setup...but the KONI shocks would actually put YOU in charge of ultimate balance. Dial the fronts full stiff and leave rear soft and you get more understeer. Dial the fronts full soft and rear stiff and you get oversteer. Thus, the KONI allow frequent autocross customers to dial the balance to the event, the current surface conditions, to the current condition of their tires, etc.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
avera01

Post by avera01 »

And the drop is still around 1"?

Additionally, and unless I wanted to eliminate most of the body roll, I can leave the stock sways and still get the overall improvement in handling and balance between aggressive performance and comfortable ride??
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Drop is indeed half inch on stock shocks, goes to 1 inch total drop if the KONI SPORT are added with the RoadsterSPort springs. If you want more drop, back to the Progress Springs. Either way the handling will be significantly improved, though the much higher rates of the RoadsterSport springs would make a bigger improvement in handling as compared to the Progress Springs. Indeed you can do sways now or later as you like.

Brian
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com